NUD Car Renewal Vs New Quote

Options
Before accepting a renewal quote from Norwich Union Direct try a new online quote with the same company! In my case (and I suspect in many cases) the new quote for exactly the same cover is cheaper. I phoned NU and enquired and this is the case and they will take the new quote price for renewal (after a trip to Customer Services offshore).

I didn't stick with NUD but moved to Barclays (yes, Barclays) for better cover and lower premium!

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    This is the same with most insurers - they tend to give a new customer discount for one (also some give an additional discount online or may even use a different rating engine online).

Secondly, the majority of people dont switch insurers each year and so slowly creeping up the premium is one way of getting back the loss that most insurers make on the first year of cover.

Ultimately of cause, if everyone was to be a new customer every year the current discounts given would no longer be viable and therefore everyones insurance would go up.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • adm_4
    adm_4 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    I've noticed this too! You aren't a new customer though and you still get the lower price. I told the renewal team this on the phone and they were saying I can't do it but there's nothing saying you can't, so I did...
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just doing the same for wifey, current qoute is 350+, online quote 290,

I cancelled the old policy and arranged for the new to start,
    should i have gone back to them and said,.... online quote was..nnnn, will you match, or deal with it the way i have done, cancel old, start up new?

my own insurance is due next month so would like to know the best/simplest way to switch over
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • adm_4
    adm_4 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    robnye wrote:
    just doing the same for wifey, current qoute is 350+, online quote 290,

I cancelled the old policy and arranged for the new to start,
    should i have gone back to them and said,.... online quote was..nnnn, will you match, or deal with it the way i have done, cancel old, start up new?

my own insurance is due next month so would like to know the best/simplest way to switch over

I thought they'd match the online price and that would be easier for me but they just denied that I qualified for it! So just cancel and reapply online.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how have people dealt with proving the NCD, in the case of switching insurance with the same company? ie cancell renew and take online quote, then asked to prove NCD, have/did the company get funny regarding the ncd notification once they realised the letter has come from them.....
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    No they dont... but I thought NUD didnt ask for proof of NCD until you actually make a claim?
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • cincin
    cincin Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Our car policy is up for renewal next month and the online quote beats the renewal quote by 100 pounds. But when I phoned NUD refused to deal with me invoking the privacy law - the policy is in my husband's name and I am the second driver. I find it absurd how these company's enact the privacy law when it is in their interest - I took out the policy, I have reviewed the policy with them on the phone and I have made changes to the policy but I am not allowed to negotiate a lower price - give me a break!
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cincin wrote:
    Our car policy is up for renewal next month and the online quote beats the renewal quote by 100 pounds. But when I phoned NUD refused to deal with me invoking the privacy law - the policy is in my husband's name and I am the second driver. I find it absurd how these company's enact the privacy law when it is in their interest - I took out the policy, I have reviewed the policy with them on the phone and I have made changes to the policy but I am not allowed to negotiate a lower price - give me a break!

I'd call them back and see if you can speak to someone else. When our ins is up for renewal I do ALL the donkey work. I haggle the quotes down to the lowest possible. All they insist on hubby doing is actually paying for it as he is the policy holder he has to authorise the payment.
  • Happy_Shrimper
    Options
    When I try to get a 'new' quote to compare with renewal from NUD, the end of the quote screen says they can't quote and to call them.
    By mistake, I entered the wrong reg number on one occasion. All other details correct and it was cheaper.
    Has anyone else had problems getting a 'new' quote to compare to the renewal price?
    Is this an attempt to stop existing customers get new customer rates?
    Thanks
    HS
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Options
    Recently done a car quote through Quidco.com and followed the link to the post office.Great quote for me.Also taken it out and tracking £16.50 cashback
    plus the post office send £50 in postal orders within 28 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure