PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What percentage of income is OK for mortgage

Options
I'm trying to work out what I can afford if I was to get a mortgage in the next year or so. What percentage of our income is OK to put towards the mortgage?

E.g. if we both earn say £1000 each, so a total of £2000 what amount is OK?

50%, 70%? I know this is not a "black and white" answer but just looking for some guidance as I am a potential FTB.
Amo L'Italia

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    That depends what you spend money on.

do a SOA and see how much you have left
    http://www.makesenseofcards.co.uk/soacalc.html

do one for now and one as if you were living in the house you bought

Don't foget the deposit you need to save that as well.
  • lowtidesurf
    Options
    Well me and the Missis are getting our first house.

We earn £3000 combined and our mortgage is £550 at the moment. We are expecting it to rise as intrest-rates pick up and expect it to be £1000 max.

So I would say a third of your combined income.
    Starting Mortgage of £133,000 in Dec
    Wish me luck
    Target £120,000 by 12/12/12
  • SuzySu
    SuzySu Posts: 3,478 Forumite
    Options
    I think I've read somewhere on here that if your mortgage is more than one third of your net income you are likely to get into difficulties. Of course there are other things to take into account, but it's a ball-park figure.
    YOUR = belonging to you (your coat); YOU'RE = you are (I hope you're ok)

really....it's not hard to understand :T
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's more a case of what they'll lend you isn't it?

Lenders are restricting people to 3x their joint (before tax) salary I think.

Our mortgage is about 25% of our after tax salary.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    ours is about 45% of our income
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A half of your income including council tax and mortgage and you will likely be in trouble - if you go onto a variable rate bear in mind it went up to 12% in the eighties/ nineties. Also you need to consider how you'd pay the mortgage if one of you became long term sick, redundant or fell pregnant unexpectedly. If you are't used to all the costs of running your own home then be extra careful - FTBs tend to get carried away with new furniture on credit cards and Sky packages they can't service.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • tek-monkey
    tek-monkey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My place will be approx 40% of my income after tax. Once I add all the other things like gas/electric/council tax/water/insurance/transport etc. it comes to more like 75%! Thats is absolutely all bills considered though, so still able to drink lots of beer and eat curries :D
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    we're going wrong somewhere then, our mortgage is only 560 but ourtake home is 3400. however we pay a total of about 1500 into our joint account so i suppose that makes it a third and you're right, we are struggling with that
  • redrabbit29
    redrabbit29 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some of you seem to be in a really good position with low mortgages and high incomes - very good! :-)

Anyway, my partner and I have a joint income of £3000 per month.

Broken down this means:
    2 bedroom house in our area = £200'000 roughly and absolutely maximum - wouldn't pay this much probably
    Our deposit = total of £30'000
    Mortgage needed is £170'000

Monthly mortgage payments = £1108 - thats based on 6% interest rate over 25 years

Now obviously that's about a third of our income or just over it anyway. Doesn't include all the bills. Luckily we have no debts which is good.

Does that look OK to you guys. Interest rate of 6% may be a bit off, but not sure to be honest.

Thanks.
    Amo L'Italia
  • sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The council tax and bills etc on a 2 bedroom property won't be that much, so if you've got the best part of £2k per month spare after the mortgage, you'll be fine I think.

We live in a two bed flat, so the heating will be a bit less than a house, but our bills (ex rent) come to about £500 per month (excluding food).

That's one thing to remember - the one third rule of thumb looks pretty different at different salaries.

Someone netting £1000 per month would have £666 left after spending a third on a mortgage. Someone netting £6000 a month would have £4000 left. Although bills on bigger properties are obviously higher, they don't necessarily go up proportionately (I guess the rule of thumb is also based on the typical lifestyle and day to day spending of people on salaries that different!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure