PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage valuation lower then purchase price. please help

Options
2»

Comments

• tek-monkey
    tek-monkey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are paying more than people say it is worth, thats up to you. Just bear in mind that you are immediately in negative equity, if they are right. Also of course you can only mortgage to the amount the lender values it at, so you'll need an extra 35k lying around at least.

So glad I don't live in London, you'd get a 5 bed house with an acre of land here for 400k!
  • Sneckie07
    Sneckie07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2009 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Hi, I am actually experiencing the same problem. I have reserved a flat in London for 400k (listed price 385k) as I added carpark space and valuation by the Bank came in at 350k. It is new built and not completed yet.

I am planning to renegotiate with the developer to get carpark space included at 385k. I know this is above valuation but all the units have been sold at listed price and I seriously doubt the developer will meet the valuation.

Is this sensible or am I still paying over the top?

Edit to add. If the build is not completed you may find that many people have bought these as investments and are struggling to find mortgages. There are several threads on here regarding that. Additionally you won't be able to find out what other flats have gone for if they haven't completed. If its the builder is telling you they've all gone for list prices then I'd take that with the proverbial pinch of salt it deserves.

Personally I'd hold out. Similar thing happened to us and the builder wouldn't budge...so we walked.

It was a pretty tough decision but I just couldn't enjoy a property knowing that I had paid more than the valuation....whether it was under valued or not.

We've since found a better property in a far superior location. We bought the last property in a development of four for £17k less that the others completed at. So naturally it valued up no problems.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am actually experiencing the same problem. I have reserved a flat in London for 400k (listed price 385k) as I added carpark space and valuation by the Bank came in at 350k. It is new built and not completed yet.

I am planning to renegotiate with the developer to get carpark space included at 385k. I know this is above valuation but all the units have been sold at listed price and I seriously doubt the developer will meet the valuation.

Is this sensible or am I still paying over the top?

If you can safely walk, walk. These newbuilds are overvalued and poorer build quality. The banks know this and have clamped down.

Walk away or overpay.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • anxiousbabe
    Options
    sneckie: I have a letter from the developer confirming the prices sold for other units - surely they cannot fudge the figures given this case?
  • Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you check on Zoopla.co.uk or similar site to make sure?
  • Cidersid
    Cidersid Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    I have a pile of £20 notes ----you can have them at 25 quid each!!!!:D
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2009 at 1:59PM
    Options
    I know of two blocks of flats that were completed in Summer 2007. At the time the developers were saying "Last one remaining", "90% sold".

Both blocks still have overpriced, unsold units.

P.S.
    Berkeley Homes have been saying this since Summer 2007:
    SHOW APARTMENTS RELEASED FOR SALE. LAST FEW APARTMENTS REMAIN.
    Last few apartments at Horizon are ready to move into today!
  • Sneckie07
    Options
    sneckie: I have a letter from the developer confirming the prices sold for other units - surely they cannot fudge the figures given this case?

go on to the land registry or alternative websites like houseprices dot co dot uk and check to see what other flats have completed for.

Personally I wouldn't take the developers word on it without backing up the figures.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Estate agents frequently put a 'Sold' sign on a house that is merely under offer. The developer has a vested interest in screwing you for every penny so do your own homework, you are spending tens of thousands of pounds not buying a new pair of shoes. :rolleyes:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family