National Window Scrappage Scheme

Options

Comments

• sashman
    sashman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    thanks bumblesquat everyone needs to encourage the official window scrappage scheme on the N0 10 web site (will anyone be reading that at the moment?)

I know the Lib dems had plans for grants towards improving housing stock by replacing windows with Energy efficient ones

Dont get too hung up on being in the industry, I've been in it since 1972, and people make the same mistakes nearly 40 years on!

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• NuJon_2
    NuJon_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I think getting quotes from other companies is definitely worthwhile. I've just had new windows and doors installed by Britelite, who ended up the cheapest. They offer a window scrappage scheme, and I also found a little link which saved me another £100. Search for Britey in google, play their game and you automatically get money off.

I think they only operate in the southeast though, so it might not be suitable for everyone.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    id rather play the monty python spam game.
    Get some gorm.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's 10 months since the question was asked, I suspect they have sorted it now ...
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

and no he is not related to me he just did a great job

He may not be related to you, but I bet a pound to a penny you are part of the company. Who else's first post would be promoting a DG company on a post that is over a year old.

A certain tinned pork luncheon meat springs to mind.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    If you already have double glazing and only need the glass replacing, its much cheaper to go through a glazier, rather than a double glazing company.
  • UKoap
    UKoap Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    And they are still telling folk that Windows Scrappage exists!
    Can we now expect a Nationwide resurgence of this?
  • oldster70
    Options
    Just (nearly) got stung by this one. I had had a lot of cold calls about the Boiler scheme. I don't need a new boiler - replaced it under a previous scheme. But we were thinking of replacing the unsealed windows at the back of our house, and possibly knocking down our sunroom (single glazed) and replaciing with a conservatory, so when someone rang to offer a" scrappage" scheme I assumed it was some kind of grant. I agreed to let an "assessor" call, but checked on the net and found this thread- didn't realise it had been going so long!. The "assessor" (salesperson) phoned while we were out so I returned the call and cancelled the visit. May I ask why she said, so I told her I had thought it was a Government scheme but now realised it was a marketing ploy. Phew!
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just received an email saying the Anglian Scrappage Deal is back, this time offering up to £3,000 and up to 45% off. It concludes with a link entitled 'Get the Anglian Scrappage Deal Now'.

Does anyone know if the legislation went through banning non-recycleable PVC frames? I read "from 2015 it will be illegal to manufacture and sell UPVC in Europe which has been stabilized with environmentally unfriendly heavy metals".

Wouldn't that mean there'd be a whole heap of DG companies who may need to offload all their old PVC stock, if the above is right enough? Could be some really cheap deals available with or without this so-called scrappage deal because it's unlikely they're able to recycle an of the old windows and we aren't allowed to fit second hand ones or reuse surplus to requirement any more, from what I can gather..
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • cynical_fisherman
    Options
    We needed the lounge windows done as it was letting in a draft. We couldn't afford to do the whole house so we are doing the house as and when we can afford it.
    Anyway we ended up getting quotes from all the usual suspects and ended up with getting a local window company in as they were 50% cheaper and of better quality than what the others were offering. That was over a year ago and since then we have been getting calls every week offering the scrappage scheme about 2-3 times a week. some of the companies we never even contacted for a quote in the first place and am assuming that they are owned by the bigger companies. The worst culprit has to be Anglian windows and they were the most expensive when quoting for the lounge windows. Go figure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure