Dodgy disappearing DD

Options
Hello!

I am currently trying to get £852 of charges that NatWest made on my account - I am trying to get them back from British Gas however - as it was 2 unauthorised direct debits which caused all the charges (I cancelled the 2 DDs of £40 each to British Gas in March as I was moving to EON, but they created new ones in May and took final bill payments). I will try to be as clear as i can, its a bit complicated !

-I wrote to BG and requested they reimburse me with the charges.
-BG have contacted me to ask for proof that I cancelled the DDs (they say they will pay me the £852 as soon as I do this and i think they will then chase the bank as BG say the bank is at fault too)

-After one of the unauthorised DD went out of my account I went to Natwest and explained that I hadnt authorised the new DD, and that I had cancelled them in March - they immediatly put the money back in my account.

I checked online at the time -there were 4 direct debits showing on-line; the original 2 monthly ones of £40 each to BRGAS-GAS and BRGAS-ELECTRICITY, then there were the 2 ones of £700 and £400 approx - these were the 2 I disputed - the payee name on these 2 new ones was BRITISH GAS.

I stupidly didn't print off the screen clearly showing the 4 different DD - and now after I confronted NatWest and they did the indemnity reversal - suddenly the 2 original DD have disappeared from my list of DD online!

So all I have to go on to 'prove' that the 2 DD showing are NOT the original ones is that the payee name is different.

At the time I never received the final bills or anything to confirm the DDs had been cancelled (it later turned out that a local postman had been keeping peoples post - as I had some post returned to me from around that period with a letter simply saying it was found after an internal investigation - unfortunately many things I expected to turn up never did - so I cant know if BG sent a confirmation that the original DD were cancelled or not)

So my question is 'does the fact that there is a different payee name prove that it is a different DD' ?
My statement clearly shows monthly DDs of £40 each going to BRGAS-GAS and BRGAS-ELECTRICITY from August to March - then shows in May the final bill amounts to BRITISH GAS.

As you can see I have very little to go on- I suspect NatWest will not be able to give me any help, seeing as they appear to fiddled (however mad it seems that they would, but they have)

Thank you for any help or advice

Comments

• natweststaffmember
    Options
    lol, I think I have just answered you on CAG(yourbank, over there).
    will do a quick compare and contrast and post again.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    Ok, i have got it. You need them to print out back office screens from the Direct Debits list. They need to use the codes 04,29, 01 and key "s" on the relevant Direct Debit and print it out which should show that it was cancelled by you and possibly reinstated by them(gut feeling on that one).

• lisaevans1302
    Options
    Yes you did reply on my other one, thanks!!!
    I made this one a little clearer I hoped!
  • lisaevans1302
    Options
    well I went to my branch today , and they were useless!
    She said she couldn't give me what I asked for, didn't appear know what I was talking about, all she could give me was a screen print of the last payments taken and a list of the actual payments taken!! I already had this info from online.

So I don't think I am going to get anywhere on this :(
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    well I went to my branch today , and they were useless!
    She said she couldn't give me what I asked for, didn't appear know what I was talking about, all she could give me was a screen print of the last payments taken and a list of the actual payments taken!! I already had this info from online.

So I don't think I am going to get anywhere on this :(
    Nonsense, tell the bank that a friend of yours who worked for the bank said they can use Back Office System, main index 04, followed by 29(direct debit screen) followed by 01 which get them a list of Direct debits which she can then put an "s" down the side of the direct debit to the particular company and print that screen which states when it was cancelled or when it was reinstated. In fact she can tell you when it was reinstated. Tell her that Back Office has more functionality than Front Office. If he/she is unable to use back office then ask for someone more senior to do a very simple thing.

• CH
    CH Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, on checking my Natwest online banking, i found a direct debit of £2.50, which i do not remember authorising, it is for a BG services, the sort code is Natwest, does anyone know what this is? I am unable to contact them atm.
    Thank you
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    2009 thread revival.   Don't reply to messages in error.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jahiggins208
    Options
    CH said:
    Hello, on checking my Natwest online banking, i found a direct debit of £2.50, which i do not remember authorising, it is for a BG services, the sort code is Natwest, does anyone know what this is? I am unable to contact them atm.
    Thank you

Did you ever find out what this was? I've just noticed the same on the account I pay bills from. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unlikely to get an answer -CH hasn’t logged into the site since March. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback