We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

BT 1571 answer service

Options
ginger_nuts
ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
I just received a message from BT .My 1571 service is going to be upgraded in a few days .The idea is if someone leaves me a message on BT 1571 I can dial 0 and be connected to the person who phoned me .
There is a fee 7.5p & normal BT rates . I wont be using it .

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Three thoughts.

1. It's time to resurrect the '5-rings slam down' campaign;

2. Encourage your friends to ditch 1571 so callers will not go straight to 1571 and have to pay their provider's minimum call charge if their line is already busy - why do you think BT don't offer a facilty to allow subscribers to switch 1571 off when they're at home?

3. How will the new 'service' work if the message is left by a caller who withholds their number?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got the message today too but deleted it however, from memory, it said the service won't work on with-held numbers nor on international numbers :)
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    I got the message today too but deleted it however, from memory, it said the service won't work on with-held numbers nor on international numbers :)
    correct it wont work if the caller with-held there number or for international calls . If a caller has with-held there number and you dial 0 will you still be charged the 7.5p fee .1571 wont tell you the number off the person who called ,you need 1471 for that .
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    If a caller has with-held there number and you dial 0 will you still be charged the 7.5p fee .
    Nice little earner!

Yet another reason for ditching 1571.

You can pick up some very cheap answering machines on ebay. From personal experience, I recommend the BT Decor 500 - mine cost less than £10 delivered.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I loathe 1571 with a passion. Both my kids have it at their homes and when I ring and they are engaged, it costs me money. I find that even if I leave a message they never consider checking after they have finished their calls so it is a complete waste of my money.
  • Carl.
    Carl. Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Pattycake for just that reason I have 1571 deactivated on my main line, though I am going to allow it for my broadband talk line when it's activated because that number will be going to anyone who wants a telephone number for me! lol!
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    pattycake wrote:
    I loathe 1571 with a passion. [...] I find that even if I leave a message they never consider checking after they have finished their calls so it is a complete waste of my money.
    People seem to have a 'don't care' attitude, hence private business takes advantage like this.

I also depise O2 CallAlert feature which sends the person a text saying who called. Thing is, the recording counts as a connected call, hence you get charged. The way round this is to withhold your number when ringing someone on O2 with it on, then you should get the usual network announcement or engaged tone (anyone remember what that sounds like?), both of which are non-chargeable.
  • clark1982
    clark1982 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Carl. wrote:
    Pattycake for just that reason I have 1571 deactivated on my main line, though I am going to allow it for my broadband talk line when it's activated because that number will be going to anyone who wants a telephone number for me! lol!

Best thing about broadband Talk is the fact you can set the amount of rings before 1571 kicks in!
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
  • gdh82
    gdh82 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    There is a fee 7.5p & normal BT rates . I wont be using it .

I shalln't be using it neither!!!

I gather there is a means of barring this "call return facility" and according to the BT Message "customers who use call barring should note that calls to 1571 will be barred under outgoing call barring option 1"

I now get my phone calls via AOL - could anyone tell me if I can still bar this "call return facility" ?

Thanks in advance...
  • clark1982
    clark1982 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    gdh82 wrote:
    I shalln't be using it neither!!!

I gather there is a means of barring this "call return facility" and according to the BT Message "customers who use call barring should note that calls to 1571 will be barred under outgoing call barring option 1"

I now get my phone calls via AOL - could anyone tell me if I can still bar this "call return facility" ?

Thanks in advance...

The only way to bar use of the facility is to use BT's calling feature, call barring. You would select call barring option 1, this would bar total use of 1571 and all other chargeable calls made over the BT network. That would be a right hassle as you would need to activated and deactivate the call baring, when you want to use 1571. This has a charge of £1.75 per month. The other option is to rent BT Answer 1571 with personal greeting, charged at £1.50 per month, this option does not have the call return facility available. With both these options being charable, you may just want to ditch it all together!
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport