Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Free Wills Fortnight

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
21 replies 14.7K views
Dora_the_Explorer_5Dora_the_Explorer_5 Forumite
2.6K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Speech-Mark-Left.gif
Official Insert

This is a fantastic scheme, though sadly a bit lacking for those in the South East.

Why do you need a will?

If you die without one, your money, assets, property will automatically pass in a way directed by law, not your choice. This can mean the wrong thing going to the wrong person and much more going to the tax man (see Inheritance Tax MoneySaving Article)

What is Free Wills Fortnight?

Between 18 and 31 May you can make an appointment to see one of many solicitors across the country who will draft you a will at no charge provided you're over 55, and instead will ask for a donation to one of 10 charities. The actual appointment can be after this fortnight provided you've made the appointment by 31 May.

How much should I donate?

If you do make an appointment then you'll be asked to make a donation to charity though this isn't forced and there's no fixed price. In a relatively similar scheme called Will Aid the suggested amount was £65, which is still a lot cheaper than getting a will drafted. But of course you can pay what you like; if you cannot afford it, don't worry, there really is no need to pay anything at all.

What are the Charities?

Ten charities are involved; Breakthrough Breast Cancer, National Osteoporosis Society, Age Concern, the RNLI, Shelter, Barnardos, the Royal British Legion, RNID, the Blue Cross and the Mental Health Foundation.

Why would a solicitor do it for free?

First and formost like many other indiduals, to support charity. However, it's also a good way of encouraging people who have never been before to walk into a solicitors office, and they may well gain new clients in the long run because of it.

How do I find a solicitor near me doing it

That's easy, at this point I pass you over to the official website. www.freewillsfortnight.org.uk/which has all the info. Once there simply click on "Find a solicitor" at the top of the page and you'll see the list of participating solicitors in the various regions.

Back to the orginal post
Speech-Mark-Right.gif

Free Wills Fortnight for the over 55's http://www.freewillsfortnight.org.uk/
threadbanner.gif

Replies

• cattiecattie Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pity it's not running countrywide. Nothing down here in anywhere near London or SE:cry:

We weren't included in the last one either.:confused:
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Providing you can wait until November 2006 when the next Will Aid campaign is due to run, anyone (not just those over 55) can arrange a will with a solicitor near them for the cost of a donation to charity. Find out more here.
  • CAHACAHA Forumite
    45 Posts
    Sadly nothing in the South West either...thought the web site might have had a register of interests which they could use to convince solicitors of need...

Never mind...but what a good idea...
    Regards

Chris
  • pumamanpumaman Forumite
    1 Post
    Providing you can wait until November 2006 when the next Will Aid campaign is due to run, anyone (not just those over 55) can arrange a will with a solicitor near them for the cost of a donation to charity. Find out more here.
    Can you tell me if there will be any Solicitors in the Torbay area of Devon doing these free wills, Donation to charities is a good thing.
    Regards, Mike (pumaman)
  • catfordcatford Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I believe this service will be available for a donation to a charity from some solicitors.
    Can anyone tell me more or point me in the right direction for info??:D
  • br1anstormbr1anstorm Forumite
    215 Posts
    Can anyone shed light on the current plans for the charity-linked Free Wills Fortnight (FWF) scheme in Scotland?

Recent press articles and charity info suggest that there will be a FWF in England & Wales in May 2007, and indicates that there is a similar scheme in Scotland. There are separate websites for the English and Scottish Schemes: https://www.freewillsfortnight.org.uk for England and https://www.fwfscotland.org.uk for Scotland.

I saw a press article saying that there would be a FWF in Scotland in Feb 2007. But the Scottish website seems not to have been updated since Sept 2006. It gives an 0845 phone number which only has an aswerphone; and an email contact - but messages are neither acknowledged nor answered.

Not very impressive. This scheme is, or should be, useful and worthwhile. But this lack of information/response risks rebounding negatively on the charities associated with the scheme. If anyone can shed light on what's happened, it would be interesting to know...

br1anstorm
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cattie wrote:
    Pity it's not running countrywide. Nothing down here in anywhere near London or SE:cry: We weren't included in the last one either.:confused:

Eastbourne, Guildford, Southampton :)
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you do make an appointment then you'll be asked to make a donation to charity though this isn't forced and there's no fixed price. In a relatively similar scheme called Will Aid the suggested amount was £65, which is still a lot cheaper than getting a will drafted. But of course you can pay what you like; if you cannot afford it, don't worry, there really is no need to pay anything at all.
    I remember reading one year that people were finding that many solicitors not only do insist you make a donation, but specify the minimum amount they consider acceptable.

And, of course, as soon as it turns out not to be a 'basic' will, you will need to pay them as well.

I think I'd rather go to my local solicitor and pay the going rate.
  • TrezTrez Forumite
    72 Posts
    anything for Scotland...
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Trez wrote: »
    anything for Scotland...

http://www.fwfscotland.org.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured