How soon to start looking for new job?

Options
On monday we were given a letter stating one of our team will be made redundant. This is 1 out of 6 of us. I know whole heartedly i work really hard for the company so i dont think it would be me but i can't risk being made redundant. They will be doing their assessments and we will be told by the end of the month who it is going to be. So how soon should i start looking for a new job? if its not me i wouldnt leave but i cant risk it being me :( it would be undeserved if it was me but ....:o

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Start the process,

get the CV upto date.
    Look around to see where the jobs are.
    think about which route you will be looking, direct,agents. etc.

you can always back off a bit later.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with getmore4less, there is no harm in starting to look now and be prepared for if the worse happens. Who knows you may find a job that is better than the current one.

The only caveat I would say is don't take your eye of the current job by being distracted with worry or new job hunting. This has to be in your own time rather than impacting your current job performance at the time when management are making key decisions as to who to keep on.
  • Jaffakake
    Options
    Hiya, the same recently happened to me. I started looking as soon as the notices were served. My boss even let me go and see an agency the next week even though nothing had been decided at that point.

I was finally made redundant, but in the end sorted out temporary work which I left to go and do within 2 weeks of having the final decision and found a new job 3 weeks after that. So I found a job well within my notice period.

I found moving quickly and applying for things helped me through the redundancy process as it made me focus on my skills and positive attributes not the crap they were slinging at me in the interviews (not that I'm bitter!) Staying positive is very powerful when you get interviews.

Good luck.
  • stressed81
    Options
    As soon as possible, I thought having a 2 week break after ten years of work would be great but I quickly became de motivated and depressed.
  • Mr_Thrifty
    Options
    Let's get this straight. 1 out of 6 of you will be leaving. Who will pick up his/her work? Does it mean that your workload will increase by 20%?

Post-redundancy atmospheres are usually crap. Will you still want to work there in the future anyway? Are you sure there won't be further redundancies? What will your future employment prospects be like with this company... will there be any pay rises in the future or not?

It may be a good idea to get applying for other jobs right now, as an insurance policy. In the meantime, at least you have some security. Times are tough and tough times call for tough measures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure