We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flexible Working Help needed...time limits

Options
Can someone help me please, I am wondering...Is the 28 day time limit that an employer has to respond to the request 28 working days or 28 inclusive days?!

Thanks Guys x
Im new to posting here but a long time lurker, so don't be mean if I post in the wrong place, just let me know nicely and I will not make the same mistake again :p

Comments

• brians_daughter
    Options
    Just reading my company handbook it states 28 calendar days...
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    business link website states

You should arrange a meeting with the employee within 28 days of you receiving their valid application. If it is difficult to arrange a meeting within this period, seek the employee's agreement to extend it.

Failure to hold a meeting within the 28-day period or any extension, without the employee's agreement, will be a breach of the procedure.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.s=sc&r.l1=1073858787&r.lc=en&r.l3=1073931239&r.l2=1080898061&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081563512

full text is above

HTH
  • MrsNixon
    MrsNixon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya,
    I checked ACAs and places before asking and it still seems a bit vague. My employer says its 28 working days, but I was under the impression it was 28 inclusive days.

It sounds like a petty thing but all in all its the principle, I have not had my request formally acknowledge, I had to raise it with my manager who said it was received by her and the head of service.

My request came off the back of some shoddy office politics that just pushed me over the edge...

does anyone know where i stand for certain as the 28 days is up on monday and now im being told its an extra 10 days (or thereabouts) that i hadent banked on. Im stressed with work anyway and i feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is being moved further away...

dramatic but thats just how i feel! :)

Thanks again!xx
    Im new to posting here but a long time lurker, so don't be mean if I post in the wrong place, just let me know nicely and I will not make the same mistake again :p
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    i thought that they had to meet with you to discuss the request within the 28 days? not just give a decision...

i would try acas, see if you can get through
  • MrsNixon
    MrsNixon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    i thought that they had to meet with you to discuss the request within the 28 days? not just give a decision...

i would try acas, see if you can get through

That's right, but if it's 28 days inclusive of weekends then they're cutting it fine, if it's 28 working days then they have til the end if the month.

If it's legally open to interpretation as to how to treat "28 days" then thru will choose working days so at least I'll know, but if it isn't open to interpretation and it's 28 calendar days then I want to know so I can give them a prod :)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it may be pretty open to interpretation sadly - which is why I asked my company to clarify it :) They replied next day saying that within our company they considered it 28 DAYS, not working days :) I would send them a nice friendly polite mail and ask them if they could clarify it for you as you are not sure :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family