parcel force forged my signature!!

Options
Hello,

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else and could give me some advice.

I was expecting a parcel but after a week of nothing turning up I checked the Parcel force tracking site(I was emailed by the company I had purchased the goods from that they were the delivery company) and it showed the parcel had been delivered to my address and their was also proof of signature that I could view. The thing is the parcel has never been delivered and the signature online (my name) looks nothing like my signature, I do not have any neighbours plus the fact that they would not have signed it with my name even if I did? So the only other option is the driver has forged my signature? And done what with my parcel?

I can prove I was not in at the time the tracking says I signed for the parcel and so can my wife.

I have contacted the company I had purchased the goods from and parcel force and they say they will investigate it but the item is now too late anyway for the birthday it was meant for.

I would think parcel force I really going to try hard to get out of this as a driver committing fraud will not look too good will it?:mad:

Comments

• rachiee
    rachiee Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Blooody Hell!! I live in the middle of no were too and the post man often signs for letters and parcels for us and leaves them in the shed! It is wrong but sometimes its easier than trailing to the office to collect!! Get onto parcel force and tell them what has happened and you are not happy, see what they say. If not get onto consumer advice.

Good Luck
    Theres 2 types of horse owner, a person who owns a horse and a horsey person ;)
  • mumcoll
    mumcoll Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to my son last year. Very similar - he had ordered a tee shirt for his brother's birthday and it wasn't delivered so he checked on the tracker thing and it was signed for (not by him obviously). He went back to the company and got a refund luckily. What was funny in the end was the tee shirt was personalised for his brother, and unless the thief had the same name, he'd have looked a bit stupid wearing it!
  • AndyHorne_2
    Options
    Surely it's illegal isn't it??
    Growing old is compulsory.........Growing up is optional!!!
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    AndyHorne wrote: »
    Surely it's illegal isn't it??

No, to the best of my knowledge it is not illegal. I believe that to be classed as fraud there has to be some financial gain involved.

It is,however, totally against Parcelforce policy and the senders contract terms for a driver to leave a parcel without a proper signature (which could be from the addressee or a neighbour) unless specifically stated on the parcel.

This sounds like the driver has left the parcel at your property, but should have left a card to tell you where it was left (still not proper practice, but a little better).
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It might be that the driver went to the wrong address and the person at that address decided to fraudulently claim to be you and used a signature that matches your name. It seems more likely that this happened since the items don't seem to have been left anywhere.
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    It might be that the driver went to the wrong address and the person at that address decided to fraudulently claim to be you and used a signature that matches your name. It seems more likely that this happened since the items don't seem to have been left anywhere.

Sounds possible.

I got home on Friday to a card from Parcel Force saying my parcel had been left with my neighbour. I thought this was odd as I hadn't ordered anything, but got the parcel anyway as had the card. The name on it wasn't mine and the original address had been crossed off and mine added (the original doesn't exist). I phoned Parcel Force and told them it wasn't mine and they seemed very confused.

To cut a long story short, they said they'd phone me on Saturday to arrange collection but they didn't. I got home yesterday to another card saying they'd tried to collect but I was out (yes, at work...!) I tried to phone them again, but think they'd gone home early so shoved it in my boot and returned it after work myself. Got home to another card saying they'd tried to collect but I wasn't in (doh) and a note saying 'PLEASE LEAVE IN PORCH!!!!' Now had I done that and it was stolen, I would have got the blame (or maybe my neighbour who originally signed for it).

I must say, it put me off using them as they don't seem to check who they're delivering to and had I been sneaky I could have stolen it (I wouldn't). I just hope they don't try and deliver the parcel to me again :rolleyes:
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Forris wrote: »
    No, to the best of my knowledge it is not illegal. I believe that to be classed as fraud there has to be some financial gain involved.

It is,however, totally against Parcelforce policy and the senders contract terms for a driver to leave a parcel without a proper signature (which could be from the addressee or a neighbour) unless specifically stated on the parcel.

This sounds like the driver has left the parcel at your property, but should have left a card to tell you where it was left (still not proper practice, but a little better).

But surely in the OP's case, there would have been some form of financial gain as the parcel itself wasn't actually delivered, so if the driver had signed the OPs name and nicked off with the parcel would that be classed as fraud?
  • m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    Options
    Not fraud, theft.

The person was given the parcel to deliver as part of their job. If they signed a customer's name to enable them to steal the parcel then it's theft.

I don't think Parcelforce would look very kindly on it occurring so you need to complain to them. However, they may take the (correct) view that their contract to deliver was with the sender.

I would push back on the person who sent you the parcel so they can claim with parcelforce.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    This happened to me with a first time order from QVC. The signature on my order wasn't even legible and nothing like mine! QVC were very good though and sent a replacement via normal mail at my request. All I had to do was sign a statement sent by QVC to say that I hadn't received the parcel.

I complained long and loud to Parcelforce and I don't think they were too happy, but as I said to them why should I work hard to pay for things I want/need only for scumbags working for you to help themselves?? They didn't argue with that point!!
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income