Applying for 2 credit cards

hi - what are my chances of applying for 2 credit cards within days of each other; namely the virgin one (16month free interest and the nat west platinum (15 month free interest and I am a nat west customer) please? Is there a place on the form to state what credit I would like? thanks

Replies

• YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you're making two applications then it's best to make them one after the other (in the hope that the second doesn't see the first's credit search) in my experience.

You can't tell them what credit limit you'd like, but you can give them an indication by completing the balance transfer section on the application form*. The initial 'scoring' won't pay any attention to what you've entered, but it'll give you something to mention when/if you can talk to an underwriter should you want to appeal the initial limit given.

* The danger here is that they may give you a very low limit and action the BT automatically, meaning you have no say in the matter. For that reason you may wish to leave that section blank and keep your BT options open.
  • Moggles_2Moggles_2 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    The danger here is that they may give you a very low limit and action the BT automatically, meaning you have no say in the matter. For that reason you may wish to leave that section blank and keep your BT options open.
    Absolutely.
    OTOH, you may be handed good limits on both cards and that could result in paying off the old card twice over.

IMO, it's safer to wait until receipt of the cards and credit limits before requesting BTs. That way you keep your options open and retain some control over what happens when. BTs are not easy to reverse and, in attempting this, you could incur two BT fees ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals