redundant - but want to start up on my own

Options
Hi, my boyfriend went into work on Tuesday and was told he was being made redundant on Friday but they would pay him for 3 weeks in lieu of notice (he has worked for the company for 3 years).
He and his friend (who worked for the same company and was also made redundant) want to start up on their own, they built up contacts whilst in the job and feel with their lack of overheads there would be work available for them) - however, having checked up on this website it seems that my boyfriend is also entitled to 3 weeks redundancy pay but he seems reluctant to ask for this as 1 of the partners has said he will put work their way (why...I don't know) and they also want to buy some equipment off the business (the 2 remaining partners).
Could anyone tell me what his next step is to set up on their own and is he entitled to anything whilst he gets the company up and running?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    They need to take legal advice as to the way the business would be run - either a Limited company or a partnership. Either way, formal documents need to be drawn up and they need to see and aco!!!!ant and a solicitor. He needs to ask for his redundancy pay and to take the employer to an ET if he doesnt get it.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re his redundancy, he should have 3 weeks pay in lieu of notice and 3 weeks redundancy pay.. The law for both is 1 weeks pay per year of employment.
    make sure he gets what he is entitled to. He shouldnt have to ask for it. It should be paid.
    He should have had written notice of his redundancy and what he will be paid.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems to be a lack of consultation re the redundancy? , how large is the company he works for
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • xxlaurissaxx
    xxlaurissaxx Posts: 2,253 Forumite
    Options
    If you stay in England or Wales get them to call business link or go i=onto their website.
    If they are in Scotland, get them to call Business Gateway or go on bgateway.com
    for advice on setting up a business and different contracts and agreements etc
    0/2013
    :beer:
  • jandrewcrook
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the info - the company had 2 employees (who did the work) and 2 bosses (who spent the money) after getting rid of others earlier in the year!
    he went to see them on monday but they were just going out to see their accountant!!! He going back on Thursday to see them again.
    thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport