Desperately in need of advice - Boss in freak accident. Don't know what to do

Options
Hi, don't know where to start really and its a long story . My husband works for a one man band. There are 10 employees. Work has been slow due to the recession and the guys agreed to short time at minimum 2 days per week initially for 13 weeks. That was about 3 months ago. The agreeement wasn't reviewed. There were weeks when they got 5 days work, weeks were they used accrued holidays to make up a weeks pay and weeks where there were only the 2 days work. The guys worked with that in the hope that things would pick up eventually.
The boss and his wife (co-directors of the limited company) took a weeks holiday abroad at the beginning of September. Whilst away he suffered a freak accident. He was in a coma until last week and he's died.
His wife understandably remained abroad to be with the boss upto the death whilst the guys here continued to fullfill outstanding contracts and work.
Now this sounds horrible, and I really don't mean it to be as my heart aches for the family but we just don't know what is happening work wise. A days work today (which came from bosses daughter) has turned out a nighmare. Guys returned to base to have works vans taken off them and advised that no work next week. One guy asked for his redundancy and was apparently told there was no money for that. Can any one tell me what we (hubby and I ) should do to safeguard ourselves without distressing the widow further? Its truly a dreadful situation but there been very limited direct contact with the widow or any one else related the business, for best intention but looking at things from a presonal basis its a mess. Help please

Comments

• TEDDYRUKSPIN
    TEDDYRUKSPIN Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    Actually you have the right to know where your husband stands. This is a horrible situation and why many commercial financial advisers, advise that managers or directors take appropriate cover for their business.

It sounds like a sole director and that it was run by this guy. As your husband is working the minimum hours anyway, have you actually looked at claiming benefits?
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    Options
    Just about to investigate benefits and legal position re redundancy. Really apreciate you taking the time to respond
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure