Casual staff and redundancy

Options
Hi. I have been working part time, on a casual basis for the last 4 years for a company as well as doing my full time job. It looks like they are really cutting down on staff numbers and I really need this job as it pays my credit card and loan debt off, without it I probably couldn't survive and would get deeper into debt.
My question is, if I do get made redundant, am I entitled to anything being a casual worker?

Comments

• 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    From my understanding there is no such thing as a casual worker only a part-time worker with flexible hours.

If there has been no terminations of employment in the last 2 years you would be entitled to a payment based on the hours you have worked.

I think its based on hours worked over 3 months.

But someone who knows a lot more than me will correct me on the calculations I am sure.
    Not Again
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    Someone answer this one.

I know some of you can.

Bump.
    Not Again
  • lyndsey80
    lyndsey80 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the bump. I have tried to do some searches on the internet but nothing is coming up. We are called casuals and I can't remember signing a contract, but that doesn't mean to say I haven't signed one, my memory is terrible!!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think if the employment has been continuous then redundancy is due not sure about notice payments.

Thing is if you have no contracted minimum hours why make you redundant just stop giving you work.

If they do then it will be based on the last 12 weeks that you worked

How are your holiday entitelments beng handled?
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think if the employment has been continuous then redundancy is due not sure about notice payments./QUOTE]

Continuity would probably require some work each week - but allowing for holiday this may be possible. The question about paid holidays is important.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think if the employment has been continuous then redundancy is due not sure about notice payments./QUOTE]

Continuity would probably require some work each week - but allowing for holiday this may be possible. The question about paid holidays is important.

I am not clear on the rules on continuity
    Does it require actual work or just a contract?
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP to help everyone could you indicate what sort of contract of employment you have with the employer i.e. you are contracted for x number of hours per week/month and whether they give you any holiday pay.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    olly300 wrote: »
    OP to help everyone could you indicate what sort of contract of employment you have with the employer i.e. you are contracted for x number of hours per week/month and whether they give you any holiday pay.

I think they have already said they cant remember signing a contract but they could be wrong.

Establishing how they are paid ie. daily, weekly, fortnightly or montly would be the way forward.

Then establishing:

How many hours they work on average over that pay period
    What is the longest number of pay periods they havent received payment
    If they have ever received a P45 (if so when)
    If they have received paid holiday (if so when)
    Not Again
  • LittleVoice
    Options
    I think they have already said they cant remember signing a contract but they could be wrong.

And of course the OP doesn't have to have signed anything. The employer simply is required to provide written particulars of some basic aspects of the employment contract. The contract is the relationship, not a piece of paper.
  • LittleVoice
    Options

I am not clear on the rules on continuity
    Does it require actual work or just a contract?

For "casuals" I believe it is a case of actual work (but allow for permitted holidays). There needs to be some work (however little) each week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure