I'd love to be a Midwife

Options
Any advice please.

I'm 21 at the end of this month and I finally think I know what career choice I would like to pursue.

I left school with 12 G.C.S.E's, 11 of those A*-C grade and went straight into office work, as there was no way my single mom could support both me and my twin through college as well.

I've been in the same job for 4 years but am finding it unchallenging and unfulfilling.

I'd love to be a midwife and am more than happy to work hard for this. My problem is, where do I start to get in? I'd have to work full time to support myself. Is there any way out there that I could study in my free time until I was ready to take a placement? Or is there any financial help available to me?

Looking forward to some replies.
Wins for 2013: Cafetiere (£40), Mangajo Drinks, Alan Partridge goodies

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Your first step will be to achieve the entry qualifications required for a degree course, which could be A levels, an Access course or similar. You'll also need GCSEs in English, Maths and a Science at grade C or over. Entry to Midwifery degrees are quite competitive, so some work experience in a caring/relevant role (unpaid will do) will also be looked for.

Have a look at the NHS Careers website for further information or post again.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=1943
  • Jadeytee
    Jadeytee Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for this?

I have the G.C.S.E's in Math, Science and English at grade C or above already.

Do you know if I could do an A Level from home study? Which A level would I have to do, sorry for sounding stupid, but I really need to start from the bottom with this
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    why not contact your local nursing school and go and have a chat with them? As older says you will need some kind of access course or A Levels as well as experience.

Contacting the uni that offers midwifery would be a good place to start

You could get a NHS bursary and other assistance, they will be able to point you in the best place to find all this out

MW and nursing is a full on course, you would struggle to work ft and do a ft course. But thats what the bursary is there for, to assist with living costs
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Jadeytee wrote: »
    Thank you for this?

I have the G.C.S.E's in Math, Science and English at grade C or above already.

Do you know if I could do an A Level from home study? Which A level would I have to do, sorry for sounding stupid, but I really need to start from the bottom with this

You could do an A level by home study but Human Biology would be the only science possible . I've known people to offer an OU module as an entry requirement (Introduction to Science being the most likely one) but you do need to check out the acceptability of this with any universities you think you might apply to.

Are evening classes not a possibility?
  • brians_daughter
    brians_daughter Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2009 at 12:00PM
    Options
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    http://www.nhsstudentgrants.co.uk/

This is the bursary site, so you may want to use the calculator here to see what bursary you could be entitled to
  • Jadeytee
    Options
    Absolutely smashing! thank you all.

I shall start with looking into doing A level's from home. bursary is a good idea to look into also. Am I too old for student loans do you think?
  • Jadeytee
    Options
    Oh no. Reading about it I would have to include my parent's for income. I live with my mom and her partner renting the one room. I support myself in every other way and look to her for nothing. She wouldn't be able to help me out.
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    Not at all, its not a loan either - its non repayable, and the course fees arent chargeable either so as long as you are careful you could come out of it with no debt!

I am 32 and studying at uni with student tuition fee loans and student loans! lol
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    re Mum, it depends on her income, and you may be able to claim you are self sufficient as you have been working for 4 years? Older will clarify this tho, they're a lot more knowledgeable than me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure