We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Jobcentre Investigation.

Options
2»

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I don't think the Council have any responsibility to house a single, able-bodied male.

However, I agree that Shelter and NACRO are good places to start.

I am in a minority when I say I hope this man does manage to turn his life around and good on you for helping him this far. We gave an ex-con lodgings in our house many years ago, showed him respect and how to live in a better way and he never re-offended again, right up to his death in his 50s two years ago. Everyone deserves one chance.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you throw him out then it will be the council's responsibility to house him as he'll be homeless. I would get him to seek advice from either Shelter (from the homeless angle) or NACRO (from the ex prisoner angle).

I think that this man should be sorting himself out or at least your husband (who I assume to be his brother) should be doing it. I'm afraid that your description of a man who's in and out of prison, with spells of working illegally in between, doesn't particularly enourage anyone to go out of their way to offer help.

Sorry to sound heartless but unless you take decisive action I think that you could be stuck with your unwanted lodger for a very long time.

That's the point though, he hasn't been working illegally. Thats why I'm trying to help him with this.

PS...It's my wifes brother.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    That's the point though, he hasn't been working illegally. Thats why I'm trying to help him with this.

Sorry, I misread the bit about cash in hand working.

Then it's the man himself or your wife who should be trying to sort this out, particularly as he's not working and you are. I hope he can turn things around but it's more likely if he takes more personal responsibility.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone deserves one chance.

Surely coming out of prison on licence was his chance but, seemingly, he blew it and went back inside.

I agree with you that I hope he turns his life around.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

If he hasn't been working illegally then where's the problem? The Job Centre investigation will prove that the allegation is groundless, and his benefits will be reinstated. Simple.
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    There is no way that they would stop his benefit without conducting an investigation. Benefit would remain in payment all the time that they were looking at him until such a time that they had enough evidence to interview under caution.

A letter would be sent to the address declared when he signed on and if he failed to attend, then possibly his benefit would be suspended.

I cannot forsee any circumstances in which a fraud investigation had taken place that the jobcentre signing staff would tell him in the way that you are saying had happened.
  • Emily1990_2
    Options
    Thanks that is very helpful!!!

?????

He stopped being s/employed before he went to prison. He came out and signed on.

Let me make it clear, I have no intrest in whether he get a job or not, but he needs the money from JSA to finalise the flat he has a deposit on. unitil he gets that he's stuck on my couch cause as much of a numptie that he is, I won't see him onto the street, and nobody else will take him.

Sorry I misread that as he was self employed from Jan-Mar 2009. It's hard to read on the screen sometimes. I hope that truth prevails.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ceecee1 wrote: »
    There is no way that they would stop his benefit without conducting an investigation. Benefit would remain in payment all the time that they were looking at him until such a time that they had enough evidence to interview under caution.

A letter would be sent to the address declared when he signed on and if he failed to attend, then possibly his benefit would be suspended.

I cannot forsee any circumstances in which a fraud investigation had taken place that the jobcentre signing staff would tell him in the way that you are saying had happened.

A very good point indeed.

OP, are you quite sure that this is what the Jobcentre have told him or is he perhaps not putting a touch of spin on the story? Also, are quite sure that he has not been working whilst claiming? It may not be the ex who has informed on him.........surely, anyone who he did work for would know his trading name.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business