Jobcentre Investigation.

Options
My brother in law went to the jobcentre today to sign on as normal.When he got there they said they are stopping his JSA as they are investigating an allegation of Fraud.

Based on the details that the job centre have given him it can be only 1 person who has reported him...His ex-partner.

My BIL was in prison last year, and when he came out he went to live with his cousin. His cousin then decided he would rather he didn't live there and he has been on my couch for the past 7 weeks.

From November 08 till April 09 he was claiming JSA until he went into prison again for breaking his licence agreement. Hecame out of prison 3 months ago.

It seems that the jobcentre have received information that from January till March 2009 he has been working on a cash in hand basis. Now this is the interesting part. When BIL was with ex partner (over 2 years ago), he was self employed and trading under a a cetain name.... lets call it JBTrading. This name was known only to him, his immediate family, and his ex partner. He only worked for 6 months before they split up, then he stopped work, bummed about for a bit, did some silly things, went to prison, and was getting his life back together until today.

The jobcentre have the details of this trading name, and claim they suspect he was working from January till March 09. Recently his ex partner has been making noises about the fact he is not paying child maintenance. Now no matter what the rights or wrongs sre with that, he is unemployed and as such has no way to pay it. But was hoping to get a job soon, and had put a deposit on a flat and had been accepted for CTB and HB, he just needed this weeks JSA to finalise the move.

It seems that his ex partner has now thrown a spanner in the works and all his benefits have been stopped.

What does he need to do now. I need him out of the house. Not that he's done anything wrong, but a 2-3 night stay has turned into 7 weeks, and I'm getting rather fed up of not being able to do as I please in my house. I'm not the guys biggest fan, he's acted like an idiot hence why he's been to prison, but everyone makes mistakes and he was on the road to recovery.

What should he be doing now, how can he prove he was not working during these times? Don't the jobcentre need to have more proof than hearsay to stop his benefits?

Any help would be appreciated.
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• borders_dude
    borders_dude Posts: 1,974 Forumite
    Options
    Bet he wishes he was back in prison! No need to worry about benefits in there!
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • Emily1990_2
    Options
    Surely if he was self employed he should have been claiming JSA as he wasn't seeking work?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bet he wishes he was back in prison! No need to worry about benefits in there!

Thanks that is very helpful!!!
    Emily1990 wrote: »
    Surely if he was self employed he should have been claiming JSA as he wasn't seeking work?

?????

He stopped being s/employed before he went to prison. He came out and signed on.

Let me make it clear, I have no intrest in whether he get a job or not, but he needs the money from JSA to finalise the flat he has a deposit on. unitil he gets that he's stuck on my couch cause as much of a numptie that he is, I won't see him onto the street, and nobody else will take him.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • stazi
    stazi Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    Options
    If he didn't work during the period of the allegation, I could only suggest that he makes a statement to this effect the JCP Fraud team.
    He should include all the details you have stated in your post (business name/ ex- partner etc).

The sooner he does that, the sooner his JSA can be decided.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Emily1990 wrote: »

I think you left a "not " out of your post!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »

Let me make it clear, I have no intrest in whether he get a job or not, but he needs the money from JSA to finalise the flat he has a deposit on. unitil he gets that he's stuck on my couch cause as much of a numptie that he is, I won't see him onto the street, and nobody else will take him.

If all he needs is the £64.50 JSA, wouldn't it be easier just to lend it to him? Even if you have no chance of getting it back it would seem cheap at the price to get your home back from this man.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Were has a deposit came from if he isnt working?

The moral is dont act criminally if you dont want to be accused of it and why should the ex partner have to support the children because he is skint due to his own behaviour.

People like him are a waste of space
  • dori2o
    edited 7 October 2009 at 8:24PM
    Options
    If all he needs is the £64.50 JSA, wouldn't it be easier just to lend it to him? Even if you have no chance of getting it back it would seem cheap at the price to get your home back from this man.

I wish it was that simple.

He hasn't had any money at all since he came out of prison this last time,the money he is waiting for is a backdated payment to cover the period from the original claim date till now. It's taken forewver to sort this out with 2 cancelled appointments and incorrect bank details etc, the whole thing has been a nightmare.

I'd lend him the money if I had it, but with him here it's costing us more in food, heat light etc, and he's not been able to give us anything for it.

Today just seemed like they had found the reason they needed not to gibve him the money they owe him.

I have a feeling they knew about this allegation a few weeks ago and tis is why they have let the claim drag on so long. He had a row with his ex just after he came out of prison. He wanted to see his kids for his youngests birthday. They live around 100 miles away and I said I would loan him the train fare to see them, but she kicked off and went off on one when he said he wanted to see them, and she told him then she'd make his life hell. Apparently she's been putting it on face book, but as yet we have no solid proof of this. I don't know why, she was the one who ran off with her fancy man. I know he's not paid any maintenance, but what's he supposed to pay it with...brass tacks.
    Anihilator wrote: »
    Were has a deposit came from if he isnt working?

The moral is dont act criminally if you dont want to be accused of it and why should the ex partner have to support the children because he is skint due to his own behaviour.

People like him are a waste of space

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but doesn't everyone deserve a chance to change?

She's not going to get anything if he's not working, and he can't get a job without a permanent place of residence. plus I want my house back. i work damn hard for what I have, and at the moment I see no benefit for it.

The deposit came from a crisis loan, but he couldn't get enough to cover the bond and the months rent in advance. He's paid most of it and the landlord said he would hold the flat for 1 month until he got his money through, but won't let him move in till he pays the rest of the money.
    [/SIZE]
  • dori2o
    Options
    Can anyone offer any further advice.

Although I appreciate that people may have opinions of my BIL, please remember that you are making an opinion of him via the information in this thread, and to make comments on him such as the comments above re being a waste of space etc they are somewhat unfair considering you are unaware of the full history. (which would take up far too much time to explain in this thread)

All we are after is some information on how we can take this forward in a way that we can resolve this matter in the most efficient, and so I can get my house back, and he can start work again and atart to make contributions to his kids upbringing.

Many Thanks.
    [/SIZE]
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    If you throw him out then it will be the council's responsibility to house him as he'll be homeless. I would get him to seek advice from either Shelter (from the homeless angle) or NACRO (from the ex prisoner angle).

I think that this man should be sorting himself out or at least your husband (who I assume to be his brother) should be doing it. I'm afraid that your description of a man who's in and out of prison, with spells of working illegally in between, doesn't particularly enourage anyone to go out of their way to offer help.

Sorry to sound heartless but unless you take decisive action I think that you could be stuck with your unwanted lodger for a very long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure