Interesting site

Options
Hope you don't mind me posting this. It's nothing to do with me as I just found it with a search engine but full of nostalgia.

http://www.andmas.co.uk/

The money saving site seems to take ages to load pages. I am on broadband. Love coming on here but it is frustrating.
Don't buy the Sun.

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I just enjoyed looking at the "box" stuff.

The site slowness is temporary!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • MrT_5
    MrT_5 Posts: 397 Forumite
    Options
    Another good one of tv and radio in the fifties. Lots of sound and video clips as well. Wakey wakey.

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/
    Don't buy the Sun.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    I am not into all this 'stroll down memory lane' stuff. And quite honestly, I think the illustrations are what the advertisement industry and the media of the time wanted life to be like. I hope that young people don't look at sites like that and assume it's history. All that 'women's place is in the home' stuff is not how I remember it.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • trevored
    trevored Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    I am not into all this 'stroll down memory lane' stuff. And quite honestly, I think the illustrations are what the advertisement industry and the media of the time wanted life to be like. I hope that young people don't look at sites like that and assume it's history. All that 'women's place is in the home' stuff is not how I remember it.

Margaret Clare

Sorry Margaret, it certainly reminds ME of happier times...of course "womens' place is in the home"...that's why they tend to have smaller feet than men so they can stand closer to the sink!
  • margaretclare
    Options
    trevored wrote:
    Sorry Margaret, it certainly reminds ME of happier times

I don't know that ANY time has been happier for me than the time I'm in now. Life has been brilliant since September 1997, in spite of health problems and personal tragedies. I don't look back with great nostalgia.
    ...of course "womens' place is in the home"...that's why they tend to have smaller feet than men so they can stand closer to the sink!

This is what some people choose to call 'humour'. Not my idea of a joke, considering that I've spent most of my life and my career in resisting those stereotypes portrayed in the illustrations on that site. I continue to resist all the stereotypes applied to my age-group, and one of those stereotypes is that we all love wandering 'down memory lane'. I don't, I never have. The present is too interesting to waste time looking at the past through a rosy glow.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know that ANY time has been happier for me than the time I'm in now. Life has been brilliant since September 1997, in spite of health problems and personal tragedies. I don't look back with great nostalgia.

This is what some people choose to call 'humour'. Not my idea of a joke, considering that I've spent most of my life and my career in resisting those stereotypes portrayed in the illustrations on that site. I continue to resist all the stereotypes applied to my age-group, and one of those stereotypes is that we all love wandering 'down memory lane'. I don't, I never have. The present is too interesting to waste time looking at the past through a rosy glow.

Margaret Clare

Lighten up Margaret (or as they say in this present day world of yours "chill out", as one gets older memories become more important unless you have a history you would rather forget.
    Humour, unless personal or bad taste is what makes the world go around, as they say laugh a lttle, live a little.

gary Have a nice day
  • margaretclare
    Options
    home_alone wrote:
    Humour, unless personal or bad taste is what makes the world go around, as they say laugh a lttle, live a little.

This is not humour. It IS personal, is in bad taste and is sexist.

If I made a similar comment based on a person's race or religion it would rightly be condemned. It is apparently still acceptable in some circles to make sexist comments as you have done.

Margaret Clare
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Margaret, I seem to have upset you, I am sorry I was just trying to generalise that to most older folk like myself memories and humour play a massive part in our lives it all depends on what you look back on as the great times in your life like school (not for me) or your younger more romantic days, whatever, with my first grandkid due in the next 4 weeks I am looking forward to the future but one must not forget the past its an essential part of the learning curve.

gary
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi Gary

You haven't upset me. I'm not so easily upset as all that. Remarks like that about the kitchen sink etc do strike a raw nerve, that's all. I'm surprised that such 'jokes' are still around.

Let's leave it, shall we.

Margaret Clare
  • trevored
    trevored Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Gary & Margaret

I was hoping to draw others into a general nostalgia discussion but clearly I've failed miserably!

I was being gently provocative not insulting or demeaning since my washing-up 'observation' was perceived humour in the 1950s... the same vintage as the adverts/tv programs etc. shown on the site concerned.

Clearly current times may in many ways be better than the 1950s but are they really? I don't recall smashed bus shelters, car parks smelling of urine, the need for ASBOs or the elderly having to lock themselves into their homes at night for fear of attack whilst convicted fellons are released early to prey on the weak & vulnerable.

Margaret, I'm pleased that you are happy with life as indeed I am but, whilst I'm prepared to enjoy todays offerings of life, I'm not dismissive of the good times I enjoyed in the past when I was a little more naïve & easier pleased.

'Political Correctness' is a nonsense which has been 'talked into existence' by those who want to please everyone & upset no one...a eutopia that's as far removed from reality as 'a person is innocent until proven guilty'!

I wish you both very good health & happiness and that we can each climb on our soap-boxes from time to time, whilst being prepared to be knocked off, and enjoying it all the more!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure