We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Using VOIPcheap for international calls.

Options
Having decided to pay our £11.60 for 120 day credits, I soon discovered that they have a system called New:web activated calls. It didn't take long to realise that using this application you can infact dial out from any number using the account. It rings the one number, you pick up your standard telephone (note not headset on computer) and it then patches you through to the contact's home telephone.

Brilliant for us as we now share the cost out between five of us - each having the same user name and password. Well aware that we can only use it 20hrs a month before it starts eating into the credit, we try to restrict our usage on this to the free international calls (ie 4hrs free per month each minus the initial investment of £2.32 each per 120 days) as we use 1899.com for UK calls.

120 days : £11.60 3x120 days (approx 1yr) = £34.80

12 months @ 20hrs per month = 240 hours for £34.80

1 hour therefore costs 14.5p

Number shared out between 5 to ensure maximum usage - no headsets to buy. If it starts eating the credit you are aware to back off for a few days. Seems to cover the areas we want!!

Just a thought, may help someone

Comments

• johnk
    johnk Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    balloonist wrote:
    Well aware that we can only use it 20hrs a month before it starts eating into the credit, we try to restrict our usage on this to the free international calls (ie 4hrs free per month each minus the initial investment of £2.32 each per 120 days) as we use 1899.com for UK calls.
    I hope you realise that they've changed to 300 min per week no rollover. Same total but you will feel a difference.
    I find it hard to keep up with their changes (include their sister companies) which are always going worse for customers.
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • Carl.
    Carl. Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    How would I set this up so I can use my landline when going through VOIPCHEAP?

I have £10.00 to use in 55 days so might as well use VOIPCHeap for all of my calls! lol!
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I couldn't find anything about new:web. Could anyone find any information about it?
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers for that. 3p connection charge btw.

They also do text messaging now for 5p (useful for me as being out of the UK).
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family