We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

advice re CCCSVA please

Options
2»

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lou - As Charco said, it does not hurt to ask around and contact a number of different organisations, then make up your mind. Maybe I should have done that myself before making a decision on who to go with, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Certainly, the MSE site is a treasure trove of info, advice and support. Hope you find the solution that is right for you - good luck.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • lou756
    lou756 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your help Charco and Nargleblast, it's much appreciated. I'll do some research; and talk to some more companies as you both suggest and then try and make the most sensible decision possible. Thank you.
  • CCCS_Sarah
    CCCS_Sarah Posts: 1,555 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have just noticed this thread and feel like I would be able to help with a few points.
    You are right, CCCSVA do charge for the IVA’s that they manage. CCCSVA is a business, but profit that is made is gift aided back into the CCCS charity so that we can help more people with financial difficulties. All of the fees are explained to CCCSVA clients prior to entering into the agreement.

When advising an IVA we do refer our clients to CCCSVA, but they are told that they can take alternative advice from an insolvency practitioner of their choice. There is no obligation to use our IVA service.

CCCS is a registered charity and is a free service provided to individuals experiencing financial difficulties but most of our clients are able to speak to a debt counsellor quite quickly and some clients, if a counsellor is available will receive financial counselling on the same day that they contact us. We also have a 24 hour online debt advice facility.

Regards

I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure