Car Insurance Advice Please

Options
Hi,

I am in the process of getting new quotes for this years car insurance, though I have a query.

I was involved in a car accident (my first in 11 years of driving) which happened to be as a named driver in my wifes car, therefore the claim did not come off my policy, but my wifes.

When i am filling out the forms on confused.com etc, do i say that I have had accident or not?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes .
  • rob_mclellan
    Options
    What about my wife? Will I have to put the same for her if I put her as a named driver on the car?

She has never had an accident, but as said previously the claim was through her policy.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think you'll have to put
    no to accident
    yes to claim
    for your wife
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Quentin
    Options
    What about my wife? Will I have to put the same for her if I put her as a named driver on the car?

No.

Nor need she have to declare your incident when getting quotes should she change insurer.

You caused the loss, and you alone need to declare it as part of your history.
  • rob_mclellan
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No.

Nor need she have to declare your incident when getting quotes should she change insurer.

You caused the loss, and you alone need to declare it as part of your history.

Even though I was driving under HER policy as a named driver (therefore getting fully comp), rather than driving under my own policy (where it would of only been 3rd party)???

To me, as it was under the wifes policy it seems as though its something that would go against her (unfair as that sounds..!) and not me.

P.S. What is the point of Protected No Claims?!! I have it, but when i get quotes including the accident, and not including the accident there is a big difference in prices... arrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhh!!!:mad::mad::mad:
  • Quentin
    edited 30 September 2009 at 10:39PM
    Options
    You have asked what is the procedure, and been given the correct advice (from me).

Sorry it's not the answer you wanted!

Your discount isn't affected at all if you didn't make a claim off your own insurer. Your base premium has gone up as a result of the incident on your history.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin has given you the right answers to the questions you have asked so there's nothing to be added really except to say that we have been in pretty much the same situation as you a few years ago. I had an accident whilst being a named driver on hubbys policy. At renewal I put the claim under my name and nothing under his name. The only time the claim is noted under his name is if I come off the policy as a named driver.

As for your protected NCB.....that's exactly all it does, protects your accumulated NCB in the event of a claim. You have had an accident so your base premium rises but the NCB discount on that premium stays the same.
  • rob_mclellan
    Options
    It's not a case of it being the right or wrong answer that I'm looking for Quentin, it's a case of putting it down correctly so that my future insurance policy is actually valid.

Another question if that's the case, using comparsion sites, how do I say that I made a claim but not on my policy? Don't seem able to do that?

Thanks Quentin
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »

Er, yes she does - she made a claim under her policy.
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    P.S. What is the point of Protected No Claims?!! I have it, but when i get quotes including the accident, and not including the accident there is a big difference in prices... arrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhh!!!:mad::mad::mad:

One thing I have found is that, now I've made a claim (I have Protected NCB) any new insurer quoting wont protect it.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure