Gas Tarrif

Options
Hiya All

I'm a newbie on here and wondered if you could give some advice?

Received a letter from the gas provider, asking for a meter reading and confirm serial number. Confirm details by telecom. left at that, thought nothing of this as a issue.
Just received a bill stating we were paying the wrong amount for the last 5 years i.e. cubic meter to cubic feet. Since I have lived in the property over 7 years a representive from the utility services has been taken the meter reading, meter on the outisde. Question do I have to pay the bill where the gas representive has taken the reading, whether a extra number was missing or not? Who is liable for reading the meter ensuring that the customer should be paying the right rate?

Sorry for the questions, just letting steam out from the so called utility service..

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

This has been covered many times on this forum.

It would appear the 'official position' is that you have used the gas and are liable to pay for that gas.

Playing the devils advocate:

you should check your bills.

You should have been aware that 5 years ago your consumption of gas dropped by a factor of 2.83.(it is strange that they suddenly started charging you for a Metric meter - they wouldn't normally have fitted a metric meter 5 years ago)

You would expect a rebate had the situation been reversed.

Even when a company makes a mistake, it doesn't mean that they cannot recover underpaid sums.

That said you should be able to negotiate a sizeable reduction in the balance if you kick up a fuss, and of course time to pay.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with pretty much everything that Cardew says.
    Did you change supplier 5 years ago? It is odd that this problem started then.

That said, they have been fitting metric meters for over 10 years now, and every meter since 2000 has had to be metric (Europe etc), so if they exchanged your meter, but put in a (perfectly working) second hand imperial (4dial) meter they may have assumed it was metric (5 dial)
  • allieh_2
    Options
    Just received a call from the company EON, They have advised it was a computer error, charge at the wrong rate for the last 5 years.
    Still don`t see why I have to pay for there computer glitch?

Have now asked for their complaints process.

Watch this space!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport