Bank Error

Options
Hi, Just new here, so apologies if I'm posting in thw wrong area.

Today I made a cash deposit into my bank of £50. No deposit slip or quick slip, just handed the cash and my card over.

Upon returning home, I checked my receipt and it shows the cashier has entered £150 on his system.

I'm just wondering, as there is no paper trail, or anything to confirm I only handed over £50, if this can be tracked back to my account and subsequently recovered?

Thanks

Comments

• sweetstudent
    Options
    Well apart from the moral thing to do, i would inform the bank and let them deal with it. As they will only take the money out your account once they realise the mistake. Also you not being honest, may put the cashiers job at risk, all for £100.
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud
    With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    jjm26 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, as there is no paper trail, or anything to confirm I only handed over £50, if this can be tracked back to my account and subsequently recovered?
    The cashier and his/her manager have probably spent an hour or so during which time they will have narrowed it down to 4 or 5 accounts where the error could have occurred.

So there's a reaosnable chance that you're on their radar.

I'd do the honest thing and hand the money back. A human being who made a mistake will be very relieved.
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Options
    The above posters are of course right.

However it is very tempting under these circumstances to send them a copy of your complaints procedure, only allow them to phone you on a number that pays you some money and give yourself up to two months to respond !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure