Travel insurance expires while on ret journey

Going to U.S.A. and my annual policy runs out on the last day of my holiday. We will actually land back in the U.K. the following day after it expires…(due to time difference, length of ret travel)

Not sure what to do, would we be covered if anything happened, illness, lost luggage that kind of thing.

Should I renew before we go?, (I already upgraded from European to worldwide when we booked so have already paid an increase). If I renew I would want to change insurer as I’ve just realised (after reading M.S.E. guide on travel insurance) that I need an independent travellers policy. ( this type of policy is for folks who put the deal together themselves) In which case I would need to start it prior to travel I think.
Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You won't be covered for any incident that occurs after your policy expires.

If your current policy is no use to you for this trip, then get a new one now in case you need to cancel for any reason.
  • Thanks Quentin, I probably realised this, but what i was thinking is that we would have started our return flight while the policy was inforce and poss may still be covered because of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure