Asda Complaint

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
9 replies 1.2K views
Adam1987Adam1987 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Hello

I went into Asda yesterday to purchase a DVD I am 21 and the person who was with me was 19, I scanned the item at the checkout and I was asked for ID which is fine as they now have their under 25 policy in place. I showed them my ID but they then asked the person who was with me for ID who unfortunately did not have it with them.

As the person who was with me could not show there ID they refused to sell me the DVD which I thought was unacceptable as I was the one buying the product and the sale should have been with me. I asked to speak to the manager who told me it’s their 'policy' and therefore would not sell it to me. I then asked him if that was the case why did I not get asked for identification when I was with my parents and they were buying a product of the same age rating and also asked him to explain that if a parent and a child of say age 13 went to the till and the parent was purchasing Alcohol shouldn’t they have to ID the child also if this is their 'Policy’. He could not come up with an answer to this and just told me they would not sell it to me.

I think this is discriminating and have sent an email to Asda via their website complaining, unfortunately I have not received a reply yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Agree or Disagree with me that I should have complained?

Replies

• I had this exact same problem - my boyfriend was buying a bottle of wine for the family and because I was at the till with him they refused to sell it to him unless I showed my ID. I just stormed off and shouted "bull !!!!":rotfl: .
    Wins so far 2011: L'Occitane Rose 4 Reins = £13
  • ProcProc Forumite
    860 Posts
    I think they're being sensible.

Let's imagine a situation where someone walked into a shop with an underage person. They then purchased some alcohol, cigarettes, a DVD, whatever, then walked out the shop and gave it to the underage person. No doubt, the public would be up in arms about Asda's blatant stupidity and disregard to age limits.

We then have your situation where even though both people are of the relevant age Asda has no way of telling this. Now they refuse the sale you're up in arms about it.

Asda will get moaned at either way.

You've got nothing to complain about. They can refuse to sell to who they want, when they want.
  • edited 30 September 2009 at 4:03PM
    Adam1987Adam1987 Forumite
    2 Posts
    edited 30 September 2009 at 4:03PM
    "Let's imagine a situation where someone walked into a shop with an underage person. They then purchased some alcohol, cigarettes, a DVD, whatever, then walked out the shop and gave it to the underage person. No doubt, the public would be up in arms about Asda's blatant stupidity and disregard to age limits."

No because parents, grandparents etc do this with kids all the time.

example parent buys child a 15 rated DVD, child is only 10 they go home and give the child the DVD so from what your saying Asda should have refused the sale of this item. The point you are making is that they should pick and choose who they think is a decent person and who is not by looks alone and no other valid reason. Do people get up in arms about this?

I am old enough to buy the product I should get treated the same as any customer no matter what age/looks is buying the product.

The only acception which I would agree with is that if they had seen a child give the adult money before coming into the shop and had their suspicions then that would be fair enough.

then you said "Asda will get moaned at either way"

They would not get moaned at, as far as they are concerned they sold the product to a person who was old enough and Asda could not possibly be blamed for what happens when they leave the store with the acception of what I said above.
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are a couple of other threads on this forum concerning the whole buying something you have to be over 18 for and refusing sale because your with someone under age.
    At the end of the day if your refused sale then accept it and shop elsewhere and get on with your life. The DVD is probably cheaper on Play.com anyway and they won't refuse to sell to you because someone underage is sitting at the computer with you.
  • jb66jb66 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    This shouldn't have happened, this rule only applies to cigs/alcohol
  • AnthillmobAnthillmob Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got id'd a couple of weeks back for buying cigs. i am 35.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • lets not forget that due to a recent EU ruling, no age restricted dvd's or video games are actually age restricted. thats right, a 5 year old can buy grand theft auto or childsplay, its completely legal due to the government not getting the law enshrined by the eu 20 odd years ago.

but thats another story....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8219438.stm
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • I got ID'd buying alcohol, using my American Express with my work ID round my neck. Still they insisted on seeing ID.

I dont see the point in shouting and ranting at the cashier! They are only doing their job as they dont want to risk a fine and a criminal record!
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave101t wrote: »
    lets not forget that due to a recent EU ruling, no age restricted dvd's or video games are actually age restricted. thats right, a 5 year old can buy grand theft auto or childsplay, its completely legal due to the government not getting the law enshrined by the eu 20 odd years ago.

but thats another story....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8219438.stm

But thats only for legal action agasint shops selling to underage. Tesco stores are private property and don't have to sell you anything. They are within their rights to make you stand on one leg and sing the national anthem before they will sell you a box of eggs. If they wanted to. Obviously.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals