Homebase sofa Problem

Options
Hello everyone this is my first post (I hope it is in the right place.)

Right...

My partner and I moved in to our first house, and needed a sofa bed and chair. as we where low on funds we got them from homebase, this was around the beginning of Jan.

To cut a long story short...

The soft fell apart and a leg on the chair has complete fallen off (not good.)

phoned up home base got an up holster chap to have a look and they will get back to me which he said.

they finally get back to me today saying that the sofa range has been discontinued, and said we should look in store for a alternative.

My question is.

the sofa iv looked at, do not go with my front room plus I don’t want the same thing to happen again. can I ask for my money back am I still in my statuary rights.

any help will be good

thanks

Comments

• littlerascal42
    Options
    It depends how long you've had the sofa for.

Technically you have up to six years to claim recompense for faulty goods, depending how long it would be reasonable to expect the product to last. For example, you would not expect a pair of cheap flip flops to last six years.

In terms of getting your money back vs being offered a replacement, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure someone on these forums will be able to help.

Are you honestly saying that Homebase have no other sofa's in their range that you like, even if you asked for a little discount because of your inconvenience? In my local store they do seem to be very keen to help people, very often doing so to a greater extent than they 'have to'.

Call into store nice and calmly and have a discussion with someone with some authority explaining your position. Going in quoting 'statutory rights' is going to get their back up, and make them less inclined to do anything beyond the bare minimum. Take it from someone who worked in retail management!

Good luck!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    yes you are entitled to a full refund. the law is very clear.
    (unless you have abused the item).

homebase is a DIY shed not a soft furniture retailer so their range will be very small.
    Get some gorm.
  • Rub_Or_Tell
    Options
    Actually Ormus they like to think of themselves as a home enhancement retailer! And they also share their lare portions of their range with Argos including sofas and have a catalogue with quite a few sofas.

In fact, for a "DIY shed" as you so elequently put it, the majority of their sales are in fact coming from the home enhancment departments, including furniture, kitchens and bathrooms.

Kaithanksbai!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport