HSBC again pushing their luck :(

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
8 replies 891 views
iwantmychargesbackiwantmychargesback Forumite
20 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Having recieved their initial response, I sent them another letter. I was under the impression that had 14 days to respond to this. Well today is the 15th day So I called them .... the guy told me theres currently another 8 week waiting list.

My question is can they take another 8 weeks or do they have to reply within 14 days (or any certain time scale)?

Any help is good

Thanks

Replies

• melorablackmelorablack Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    By initial response I take it you mean final response? Or just an acknowledgement to your complaint. If they gave you a final response then you should go to the ombudsman if you aren't happy. If it was an acknowledgement, then you have to wait the 8 weeks.

• Having recieved their initial response, I sent them another letter. I was under the impression that had 14 days to respond to this. Well today is the 15th day So I called them .... the guy told me theres currently another 8 week waiting list.

My question is can they take another 8 weeks or do they have to reply within 14 days (or any certain time scale)?

Any help is good

Thanks

The firm has 8 weeks in total from the 1st date of your complaint being received to come to a full and final conclusion.
  • cakeycakey Forumite
    337 Posts
    i just received my second letter from HSBC, the first 2 weeks after i put the claim in saying 4 weeks to resolve, i got my second letter yesterday saying that its going to take another 4 weeks. i think HSBC are draging their feet at the moment.
    STARTING BALANCE JAN 09 £47,400
    Debt left 24th December 2010 - 13611!!!!!:j
    Update may 2013 - debt left £8000
    Update oct 2014 - £2500
  • marshallkamarshallka Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    cakey wrote: »
    i just received my second letter from HSBC, the first 2 weeks after i put the claim in saying 4 weeks to resolve, i got my second letter yesterday saying that its going to take another 4 weeks. i think HSBC are draging their feet at the moment.
    If it goes on after 8 weeks you can take this to FOS anyway or wait for their final response. Good luck and sorry they are making things difficult and taking their time. Hope it works for you soon.
  • jju5tjju5t Forumite
    22 Posts
    My claim took 8 weeks to the day to get the final response from hsbc.

dont take that as a "it wont happen" as taking your complaint too the FOS will extend it by 18months to 2 years (by FOS guidelines).

You wil prbably recieve a response similar to what i did saying they are not willing to admit liability for misselling but are willing to refund the claim in interest of customer satisfaction.

Best of luck.
  • marshallkamarshallka Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    jju5t wrote: »
    My claim took 8 weeks to the day to get the final response from hsbc.

dont take that as a "it wont happen" as taking your complaint too the FOS will extend it by 18months to 2 years (by FOS guidelines).

You wil prbably recieve a response similar to what i did saying they are not willing to admit liability for misselling but are willing to refund the claim in interest of customer satisfaction.

Best of luck.
    Well done to you. I am sure cakey will have more hope then now of this being resolved without the need for FOS.
  • Thanks for the above responses but I dont think the post reads as clear as i wanted it to.

Basically:
    I sent 1st letter

Recieved response saying could take 4 weeks for response or could take 8 weeks

Recieved letter from HSBC after 4 weeks saying they will have to take the further 4 weeks to investigate .

Then after the 8 weeks, I recieved a letter basically saying no ... this letter included details of FOS but also said if you have any further evidence, write back.

I wrote back ripping his letter to pieces as it was clearly a bog standard rejection letter. I gave them 14 days to respond. on 15 th day, I rang up and was told theres another 8 weeks waiting list.

My question was i waited 8 weeks for their first response. can they make me wait another 8 weeks???

Thanks
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Thanks for the above responses but I dont think the post reads as clear as i wanted it to.

Basically:
    I sent 1st letter

Recieved response saying could take 4 weeks for response or could take 8 weeks

Recieved letter from HSBC after 4 weeks saying they will have to take the further 4 weeks to investigate .

Then after the 8 weeks, I recieved a letter basically saying no ... this letter included details of FOS but also said if you have any further evidence, write back.

I wrote back ripping his letter to pieces as it was clearly a bog standard rejection letter. I gave them 14 days to respond. on 15 th day, I rang up and was told theres another 8 weeks waiting list.

My question was i waited 8 weeks for their first response. can they make me wait another 8 weeks???

Thanks

Hi there

Maybe you should go straight to the FOS now then, you are entitled to do this now.
    You can download a complaints form from the FOS site, or ring them to arrange then send you this through the post, remember to enclose copies of any correspondence and any evidence to support your case.
    Good luck and please keep us posted.;)
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up