Barking

Options
Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has advice for an year old boy dog thats barking quite bad. I tried the aquiesse machine that lets out a noise when he barks but its useless, have a grumpy neighbour that hates dogs and i take him in the minute he barks but its ruining our lives because we love him so much and dont want to sell or give him away and he has such a sweet nature. We have a massive back garden and he has our other girl dog to play with, we take him to the park and show him lots of attention but he still has this terrible bark,thanks. JEM

Comments

• jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Options
    what breed is he and is he barking at anything in particular?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jemima1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has advice for an year old boy dog thats barking quite bad. I tried the aquiesse machine that lets out a noise when he barks but its useless, have a grumpy neighbour that hates dogs and i take him in the minute he barks but its ruining our lives because we love him so much and dont want to sell or give him away and he has such a sweet nature. We have a massive back garden and he has our other girl dog to play with, we take him to the park and show him lots of attention but he still has this terrible bark,thanks. JEM

Maybe he doesn't want to be outside? Everytime he barks you let him in therefore he has learnt that by barking he gets taken in.
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    so he only barks in the garden? does he bark in the house or not?
  • jemima1_2
    jemima1_2 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2009 at 5:17PM
    Options
    Hi he is a little jack russell but his bark is a mix between a screech,yelp and very high pitched. He has always been in his kennel with our other dog since he was 4 months and he was ok with this. I do let him in when he barks because theres no let up and he wont stop. He has plenty of excersise and attention but its got to the stage now that its affecting a neighbour so we are thinking obedience school or anything as the aquiesse machine did not work. JEM
    ( no he doesnt bark while inside)
  • sarabe
    sarabe Posts: 564 Forumite
    Options
    He could be barking for any number of reasons. Excitement, playing with the other dog, boredom, as someone else mentioned because he wants to come in or just because he can.

Accompany him to the garden for the toilet and perhaps scatter some food for him to eat whilst he is out there, assuming he can't bark whilst he eats, and bring him in before he gets over stimulated out there.
    A dog with a behaviour problem needs help not punishment.
  • foreign_correspondent
    foreign_correspondent Posts: 9,542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2009 at 5:20PM
    Options
    why not keep the dog in the house?

I have just seen this in another thread...
    jemima1 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, my young male dog has started barking and he has an annoying bark. Im trying everything and i think its because he is spoilt, he stays outside in a kennel with our other dog but i think he just wants attention constantly , hope he changes but ive heard male dogs bark more anyway. We have lots of dogs on our street and a chi who barks constant at its gate but theres a neighbour across from us who is quite sly and shouts when hubbys car is gone,hubby asked him was the dog annoying him and he sais no its fine but then shouted when hubby was gone again, im now selling my lovely little dog because im scared of complaints and he isnt a constant barker, gives about 10 barks in a day. I tried the aquiesse machine but its no good, i hope things improve for you because i know how your worrying and its such a terrible feeling to be nervous when your dog barks. Jem

are you really selling your dog even though you do not believe his barking is excessive?

They would have to fight me tooth and nail to get my dog off me!

I do hope he is neutered to minimise the risk to him of ending up on the wrong hands?

I would have to ask, who do I care about more, a possibly unreasonable neighbour, who has already said it is fine...or the dog, who I took on as my responsibility?

If it was me the neighbour could shout till he was blue in the face, if the dog is not barking excessively - if it wasnt the dog, he may well be complaining about somthing else, like where you put your wheelie bin or something!
  • pink_piggy17
    Options
    why not let him in and out of the house during the day at least if you must kennel him at night. maybe he is bored/lonely? even when they have another dog for company, most dogs thrive on human attention as well. and even a small dog needs around an hour a day walks, jack russells are a very active hunting breed remember.
    money earned online so far:
    pigsback: €100 irishopinions: €80 onepoll: £40/£40 ipoints £30 toluna: £10. Bview: £30 amazon vouchers. £5 amazon voucher from survey. Dooyoo: £35 vouchers.
  • spidystrider
    Options
    I can't believe you would give up on your dog so easily. I hope you have changed your mind. It has to be worth taking him to obedience school surely. I have an eight month old border collie who loves to bark at the birds, especially crows. The only thing I can do is tell him off and bring him in to calm down.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure