We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Advise needed on Spring Cabbage seedlings

A week ago I planted my Spring Cabbage (Durham Early variety) into a seed pod tray on the kichen window ledge and covered with a seed tray cover to get them started while we get the ground prepared. They have nearly all germinated but I am a little concerned that they are so tall already.-about 2 and a half inches with just the 2 seed leaves at the top. Is this OK or are they too tall? strangely we put a melen seed in a pot nearby and this seems too tall also. There is nothing to restrict the light and thereby forcing them to reach for the light. Anyone have any ideas - will they be OK?

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The fact that they are inside will be cutting down on the light available. Do you have them too close together?
    Pot them on now into individual pots and start hardening off and sticking them outside straight away, they should be outside really, not inside, even as seedlings.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Thank you for the reply. They are not planted close together but I will now move them on into the cold frame which I expect to get delivered tomorrow and begin hardening them of by opening it during the day.

The problem is we have grown veg before but a few years ago on an allotment where we got lots of help, advise and young plants for free. Also ow our budget is a bit tight so every penny on seeds etc needs to reap rewards which makes me a lot more nervous.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure