Conned by Virgin re Caller Display Service

Hi all,

I'm fuming! Transferred phone from BT to Virgin and over 2 weeks after install they finally ported my BT number last Friday. I have requested caller display to be set up at least twice during the process and was advised that they could not take the request until the line was ported.

So, finally, after successful porting, I immediately requested Calling Line ID which was promised to be set up within 24 hours. As of today, 3 days later is was not working so I called them and was calmly told that CLID is not available in my service area!!!!

I had CLID far at least 10 years with BT and make good use of it, screening calls etc so I am not a happy bunny. It's not a new technology.

I've been conned - there is no mention anywhere on VM website phone pages that the advertised CLID is not available everywhere, just references to the service and the £2 pcm charge.

I have discovered that I am in the Virgin "Blue" zone for service and checked the online cable phone guide that mentions CLID, but again no mention of limited service coverage for this particular add on in any Zone.

Told them I'd cancel and return to BT if they didn't sort it out.

I think its a scandal that they advertise services which you are unaware are unavailabe until after you have signed up and installed.

So, if you are considering moving to VM (or anywhere come to that), check that all services are available prior to moving.

Cheers

Derek

Comments

• ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Derek_S wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm fuming! Transferred phone from BT to Virgin and over 2 weeks after install they finally ported my BT number last Friday. I have requested caller display to be set up at least twice during the process and was advised that they could not take the request until the line was ported.

So, finally, after successful porting, I immediately requested Calling Line ID which was promised to be set up within 24 hours. As of today, 3 days later is was not working so I called them and was calmly told that CLID is not available in my service area!!!!

I had CLID far at least 10 years with BT and make good use of it, screening calls etc so I am not a happy bunny. It's not a new technology.

I've been conned - there is no mention anywhere on VM website phone pages that the advertised CLID is not available everywhere, just references to the service and the £2 pcm charge.

I have discovered that I am in the Virgin "Blue" zone for service and checked the online cable phone guide that mentions CLID, but again no mention of limited service coverage for this particular add on in any Zone.

Told them I'd cancel and return to BT if they didn't sort it out.

I think its a scandal that they advertise services which you are unaware are unavailabe until after you have signed up and installed.

So, if you are considering moving to VM (or anywhere come to that), check that all services are available prior to moving.

Cheers

Derek

If you were told you could have it and now they say you can't you will have good grounds to cancel your contract early without penalty.
  • It's Virgins biggest weakness. CLI is not available in a lot of their areas.

What's more, they (well all their employees speaking on their behalf on cable forums) say that at present there are no plans to upgrade these areas as it's too expensive just to give customers CLI. These same employees usually don't see the big deal with CLI.

Personally I think it should be a top priority for them as like the OP, I always use CLI and while I am returning to them on Saturday as I have such a good deal (inc £150 quidco cashback), if I don't get CLI, I will ditch their phone service after my year is up.
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of
    MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • Derek_S_2
    Derek_S_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    It's Virgins biggest weakness. CLI is not available in a lot of their areas.

What's more, they (well all their employees speaking on their behalf on cable forums) say that at present there are no plans to upgrade these areas as it's too expensive just to give customers CLI. These same employees usually don't see the big deal with CLI.

Yes, when asked when it will be available the said they didn't know ie never!
    I've cancelled today and set up a return to BT and to be fair the Virgin agent made no issue out of it under the circumstances.

I only moved to Virgin for phone due to the cheaper monthly rental, but in the meantime, BT has reduced to £11.25 to match Virgin anyway. So its back to square 1, BT phone and Virgin Cable Broadband (faster than adsl in my area). I'll lose the packaged TV box, but it only added iplayer on the TV above what my Freeview PVR does anyway.

Cheers

Dave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family