Poor service from Moss Bros - grounds for partial refund?

Options
I wanted to get some opionions on whether I'd be justified in asking for a partial refund for some suits I hired for my wedding.
I received very poor service when Iwent to get some of the wedding party measured about 6 weeks before the wedding. I wrote to complain then, and to check what would happen if the hire was incorrect when received (the service was so bad I thought something was likely to go wrong), but the reply I received was a fairly terse 'we can't help'.

When we picked the suits up 2 days before the wedding, 4 members of the party tried their suits on and discovered the following;
The groom's trousers had a badly repaired fly - it was folded over and had to be replaced, and his waistcoat was badly creased (this was pressed for us in store).
There was a shirt missing for another guest.
Another shirt was too small, and the waistcoat for the same person was also too small (measurements for these had been taken in store).

All of these issues were dealt with the day before the wedding. However, we had two more members of the wedding party who were not arriving until the evening before the wedding and therefore we were unable to rectify issues with these two, which were trousers that were too big and a jacket that was too small.

This took several hours out of what was already an extremely busy and stressful day and I'm really angry that we had to waste our time to get their sloppy service corrected.

I'd like to ask for a partial refund on the suits that were wrong, what do you all think?
When we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present....we experience heaven on earth. Sarah Ban Breathnach

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think your entitled to one. They did fix the problems in store. These things do happen. I guess it was unlucky there was more than one fault. Just forget about it and move on.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I don't think you're ENTITLED to a refund but it sounds like you did receive pretty poor service generally - and at a very important occasion too.

For the cost of a stamp and a little of your time, I'd be inclined to draft a brief, unemotional, to-the-point letter detailing your experiences and see what they say.
    I can't see them giving you a refund but at least you will have got it off your chest.

I'd be interested to know what you said in your original letter of complaint and the reply from Moss Bross (I can't understand the 'we can't help' comment).
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I don't think you're ENTITLED to a refund but it sounds like you did receive pretty poor service generally - and at a very important occasion too.

For the cost of a stamp and a little of your time, I'd be inclined to draft a brief, unemotional, to-the-point letter detailing your experiences and see what they say.
    I can't see them giving you a refund but at least you will have got it off your chest.

I'd be interested to know what you said in your original letter of complaint and the reply from Moss Bross (I can't understand the 'we can't help' comment).

Sorry I should have added the above. It is amazing how a polite letter that says how highly you thought of them and how great they were and this happens your very dissapointed and your friends and family have been shocked by the way you have been treated suddenly gets them to act.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure