🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cost to damp proof an internal wall?

Options
Hello,

I have some damp on the bottom of my living room wall. It's internal with the stairs on the other side. There is some damp spotting on the lower wall, approximately 50cm high. Does anyone have any idea how much it will cost to get this damp proofed?

I've had a look around the net but most people have been discussing getting their whole house damp proofed but we just need this wall. If anyone can give me a rough idead that would be great as I don't want to get conned when I start ringing around asking for quotes.

The room needs re-plastering and decorating anyway so I'm not bothered about the plaster being pulled off.

Thanks!

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Do you really need a Damp ( proof ) expert , get a builder too look at it first.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You really need to find out why you have damp on an internal wall! If you have a leaking pipe chased into the brickwork or condensation forming, putting in a dampproof course will not cure it.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • dampdaveski
    Options
    Sarah,
    What does the damp look like? is it mouldy? does it have a yellow tinge? how old is the building? has the wall been replastered in recent years? has it just appeared now the weather is beginning to get colder?
    As a building preservation surveyor, i'm fully aware of the inbred halfwits who give this industry a bad name, however there are an awful lot of even worse general builders out there.
    Also It is quite possible to get rising damp on an internal wall (just less likely), it is an old wives tale that you only get rising damp on external walls,
    The advice I give on here is based on my many years in the preservation industry. I choose to remain anonymous, I have no desire to get work from anyone. No one can give 100% accurate advice on a forum if I get it wrong you'll get a sincere apology and that's all:D
    Don't like what I have to say? Call me on 0800 KMA;)
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    i'm fully aware of the inbred halfwits who give this industry a bad name, however there are an awful lot of even worse general builders out there.

That would be a great pub debate :rolleyes: who gives worse advice
    inbred half wit or a dodgy builder :rotfl:
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the same.
    Internal wall, no pipes in it, it was an external wall, now there is a single story extension on it, so it's a double skinned, but no cavity (mid 1800 terrace). Dry lined on the extension side. Recent chemical dpc that is still good.
    My meter shows no damp in the wall, apart from 3 or 4 spots, about 2cm wide, and 0.5 meter from the ground, in a cluster, that give a high reading, and show as a dark partch.
    I have no idea what it is.
  • sarahmanchester
    Options
    Hi

Dampdaveski, in response to your question, the damp is like mottled spots and the are a dark greenish color.

I think the last owners replastered (well they said they did but it hasn't been skimmed so is a total mess all the same). The house was built in 1945. There is also some similar damp in the cupbard under the stairs but that's an external wall. It's been there a while now so hasn't just appeared because of the cold weather. There isn't a lot.

Thanks
  • andy69_2
    andy69_2 Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well to get the whole downstairs of my average 3 bed semi damproofed including internal walls it cost me 1360 which included absolutly everything.
  • dampdaveski
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    sounds like it might be mould growth, which is a sign of condensation / poor ventilation, if this is the case it most certainly doesn't want damp proofing.
    try washing off with a bit of diluted bleach and see if it comes back, another option if you have a fan heater is point it at the wall for a few days (switched on of course) and see if the spots shrink , obviously don't leave a fan heater unattended or on overnight.
    If it does shrink or disappear then it is either condensation or a bit of salt contamination in the plaster, either way it doesn't sound like you need to be worrying about it too much :)
    The advice I give on here is based on my many years in the preservation industry. I choose to remain anonymous, I have no desire to get work from anyone. No one can give 100% accurate advice on a forum if I get it wrong you'll get a sincere apology and that's all:D
    Don't like what I have to say? Call me on 0800 KMA;)
  • sarahmanchester
    Options
    Oooh that's good news. The down stairs does steam up alot if I'm cooking actually! When we had the survey done we were told that it was damp though, could they have just been assuming that's what it was? Thansk for your help. I'll definately try the fan thing.
  • andy69_2
    andy69_2 Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The internal wall on my 1930's semi was damp, had 3 different companies check it out and give a quote also my builder friend checked it and they all said it was rising damp. But I also had it on external walls, for one living room, dining room, kitchen, hall, i got a fully damp proof course for 1360 which included everything, inc. labour etc. Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport