We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cut your grass quicker for cheaper

Options
I know its the end of summer... but - I was cutting my grass and I snapped the last of my lawnmower blades (they were expensive too!)

In desperation I had to find something (i didn't want to walk to the shop) - I found some strimmer wire (a huge reel of it only cost me a pound or so) - The lawnmower uses screws to hold the blades so all I did was cut a length of strimmer wire, fold it in half, then tie it into oa standard knot (over and through itself - like the first step when tieng a shoelace), around the screw (or through the hole if your mower has this) that holds the blades in place

This worked brilliantly! The lawnmower cut teh grass twice as quick and mouch more cleanly! It works a real wonder and strimmer wire is so much cheaper than the blades!

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a hover and don't think it cuts as well as my old cylinder type so i'll try some strimmer wire, thanks.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure what blades you lawn mower is but went into my local B&Q and they had lawn mower blades a couple different ones for 10p plus a blade sharpers for 10p. They had loads of stuff to get rid. I got some houseplante spray for £2 and a spray thing for a hose for 10p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    even cheaper option get guinea pigs ! my god can they eat .
  • amcluesent
    Options
    I await the story of the trip to A&E after the bizarre gardening accident.
  • invisiblecabbage
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    I await the story of the trip to A&E after the bizarre gardening accident.

is this in reference to the Guinea pigs or the strimmer wire?
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    even cheaper option get guinea pigs ! my god can they eat .

But then you've got to clean up the mess they make... :D
    I used to wait for a good hot day (when they all dry out) and then use the dyson :shhh:.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    I've never known a blade to snap. I didn't know they did that. I just thought they went blunt, or more likely the motor packs in 1st in my experience.

I've got an old cylinder push mower now. It's brilliant! :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ixwood wrote: »
    I've never known a blade to snap. I didn't know they did that. I just thought they went blunt, or more likely the motor packs in 1st in my experience.

I've got an old cylinder push mower now. It's brilliant! :)

He/she means the plastic blades that some small lawnmowers have.

I can't advise on wussy lawnmowers, but if you have a beefy brushcutter, I can recommend Nylsaw line. It is pricey, though I get it locally for £5 less than on-line, :confused: but it lasts longer and doesn't melt or break, except under extreme provocation.
  • I replaced my lawn with shingle. No more lawnmowers!!!! Straight out and on the sun lounger. Best thing I did.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport