Alliance & Leicester PPI Rip Off

Options
In January 2007 I applied online for a loan without PPI. Before it was sanctioned I was contacted by a member of A&L who talked me into taking out the PPI. I am a self employed Sole contractor, but the salesperson assured me that the insurance covered self employed people. What I didn't realise was that I would have had to have been sub-contracting to a company for a certain period before the insurance was valid.
I wrote to A&L using Martin Lewis' template telling them that I had been misold. I stupidly assumed they would cancel the insurance from that letter. No surprises that they eventually declined my PPI recalim letter and told me that I would have to ring to cancel. When I rang I was told I would need to put it in writing.
I have just had a reply to my cacellation request telling me that my loan account is on a fixed term , fixed rate & they are unable to alter the agreement. They go on to say that to cancel the PPI they would need to close the existing loan and open a new one. The figures they have given me are £20 a month more that they would have been if they just took off the PPI from my existing figure. Worse still my circustances have sent my credit rating down & wouldn't get through loan credit scoring now. I have never missed a payment on the loan. Looks like I could be stuck with the PPI can anyone help please:confused:

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    In January 2007 I applied online for a loan without PPI. Before it was sanctioned I was contacted by a member of A&L who talked me into taking out the PPI. I am a self employed Sole contractor, but the salesperson assured me that the insurance covered self employed people. What I didn't realise was that I would have had to have been sub-contracting to a company for a certain period before the insurance was valid.
    I wrote to A&L using Martin Lewis' template telling them that I had been misold. I stupidly assumed they would cancel the insurance from that letter. No surprises that they eventually declined my PPI recalim letter and told me that I would have to ring to cancel. When I rang I was told I would need to put it in writing.
    I have just had a reply to my cacellation request telling me that my loan account is on a fixed term , fixed rate & they are unable to alter the agreement. They go on to say that to cancel the PPI they would need to close the existing loan and open a new one. The figures they have given me are £20 a month more that they would have been if they just took off the PPI from my existing figure. Worse still my circustances have sent my credit rating down & wouldn't get through loan credit scoring now. I have never missed a payment on the loan. Looks like I could be stuck with the PPI can anyone help please:confused:

Hi and welcome.

You certainly been given the runaround here, I would contact the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) and ask if they are able to investigate this for you now.

More on the FOS here:
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

Good luck please keep us posted.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • melorablack
    Options
    They are right that they can't cancel the PPI without you having to take out a new loan. This is because you will end up paying more interest if they don't open a new loan without insurance.

But I agree with Di - you should take your mis selling complaint to the FOS and see what they say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure