Refund on deposit

Options
Is there a law where I can get a refund of my booking fee for an entertainer I booked for a party. I didn't sign anything, I unfortunatley had to cancel him and now he is not giving me back my deposit :cry:.

Comments

• facingthefuture
    Options
    No, the entertainer fairly/legally can keep the deposit. You formed a (possibly unwritten) contract and you are lucky that is all you have to pay.

I am sure the entertainer is very unhappy that you reneged on the deal.
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    Sorry Louise. I hope whatever reason you had to celebrate is still there. There are lots of free ways to get big smiles.:D
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately that is the idea of a deposit..

So you dont just waste mr entertainers time by saying 'yea come around at 10pnm x y z'...then 2 days before ' oops dont need you now' it would severly effect his business.

The deposit is compensation for you wasting his time in a way.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst legally you don't have a leg to stand on, you may be able to appeal to his human side by asking (if there is a decent amount of time before the event was supposed to take place) if he might consider refunding part of your deposit if he manages to get another booking for that date.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Options
    Its pretty immoral to even ask for the deposit back.

Put it this way- hes the guy trying to make a bit of money and you're the one spending it so its likely he needs the money every bit as you do if not more!
  • Michelle99_2
    Options
    In this country you don't need to sign anything to have a binding contract. Looks like he is entitled to keep your money unless he specified conditions. I assume the deposit is to guard against cancellations anyway.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    and it's always possible that under the T&Cs of the contract cancellation close to the event (and probably preventing him/her sourcing alternative work) would result in the full fee being payable!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Louise2009 wrote: »
    Is there a law where I can get a refund of my booking fee for an entertainer I booked for a party. I didn't sign anything, I unfortunatley had to cancel him and now he is not giving me back my deposit :cry:.

You paid, he accepted your payment, therefore you entered a contract regardless of wether you've signed anything......
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure