insurance claim advice?

Options
A couple of months ago my car was broken into. they stole the cd player and damaged the near side door and dash board. I reported the crime to the police and to my insurers but didn't make a claim due to the £150 excess.

To my dismay, someones broken into in my car again today! It looks like they got in through the same door.. pulled it open and have tried to hotwire it. I phoned the insurers and told them and also reported it to the police. The insurance co organised for the car to be towed away to the garage who'll contact me tomorrow with a quote.

I was wondering whether the insurers will pay for the damage done in the first break in as I didn't claim then?

Should I hope that the garage will quote for the first lot damage and the new damage or just the new damage based on their instructions from the insurance co. should I phone the insurance co and ask them to pay for it at the same time. Or should I phone the garage and ask him to include the first lot of damage in the quote.

I'm not sure how to handle this... Its a good opportunity to get the first damage and new damage sorted with one excess payment.

hope this makes sense.. am drowning my sorrows with a bottle of vino!

bambi :'(
No links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To keep yourself right legally, I imagine you should really only make a claim for the second break in.

However, if I was you, I would speak to the garage, explain your predicament and see if they can advise you as they are probably experienced with dealing with insurance companies.

Sorry I'm not qualified to give more helpful advice.

Pink
  • Nurse_Bambi
    Options
    just an update for you..

the garage quoted for all the damage, including the first break in damage. The insurance co agreed and the garage have had my car since Aug 3rd - day of my first post.

Dismay - today the garage called and said that my car may have to be written off. Apparently some componants are damaged and it might cost more to fix than the car is worth. they are waiting for instructions from the ins co. as to what to do.

I'm gutted. It's a P regd, Vauxhall Corsa. Its never never let me down and I love it. Its not worth much in money terms... but to me..... :'(

How much do the ins. co. normally pay out? is it the full book value? How do i fiind out how much its worth?

cheers.
  • Barnei
    Barnei Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    The insurance company will pay out the pre accident value for the car (market value). if you look in a trade guide such as Glass' guide or parkers it should give you some sort of idea. If your not happy with the first offer the insurance co make you can dispute it, normally they will ask you for some evidence why you think your car is worth more than their offering ( eg low mileage, full srvice history, find other similar exmaples in trade press/auto trader/on net). If you need any more info I can help - I work for an Insurance co.
  • Nurse_Bambi
    Options
    Thanks Barnei
    luckily the insurance co have agreed to the repairs so I should get my car back next week! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport