edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
25 replies 2.3K views
boots_babeboots_babe Forumite
3.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
Hi,

After reading up on here, I asked my vet for a prescription for Frontline this week. She ummed and erred for a bit as she said no one had asked before and didn't know how to make one(!).

Anyway, after we'd hung around for ages she finally gave us a handwritten note on a piece of headed paper.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is this acceptable as a prescription to purchase via an online shop? She didn't seem to have any other way of producing one.

2. When I looked at it when I got home I was shocked to see she'd only prescribed 2 doses (I have 2 cats so that's just one each). As I need to give them one each month I'd expected her to prescribe more in one go, otherwise I'll have to keep going back, and also probably incur more postage. For those of you who have done this before, how many do you usually get prescribed in one go?

Many thanks.

Replies

• boots_babeboots_babe Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. So it seems I've been short-changed in getting a prescription for only '2 pipettes' not 2 packets, for 2 cats.

• tigs78tigs78 Forumite
    539 posts
    I use https://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk for my cats medications. According to their website you no longer need a prescription for frontline. Also postage is free on non food pharmacy items.

Hope this helps
  • tigs78tigs78 Forumite
    539 posts
    The only other one that I have heard of (although not used) is http://www.vet-medic.com

I have found https://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk to be the cheapest for the medications which my cat takes. She is on daily medication and will be for the rest of her life, if I were to buy through my vets (as I have done for the last three years prior to finding out that I could buy elsewhere) the medications cost £70 a month wheras with bestpet they are £40 with free delivery. The medications are identical to the ones I used to buy from my vet and the delivery is fast, I normally get mine within a day or two of them receiving my prescription. If you get a prescription with say three months worth on you can buy one month's worth and they will retain the prescription so you can order again without the need for a further prescription.
  • boots_babeboots_babe Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is really useful stuff. Does it mean that you no longer need a prescription anywhere for Frontline? Surely if one shop doesn't need one it must be because of a change of legal requirements, so it should be the same at all shops? It'll certainly make things much easier!

• tigs78tigs78 Forumite
    539 posts
    The reason behind it is that Frontline is classified as a NFA-VPS which means...

NFA = Non food producing animal
    VPS = Veterinarian/Pharmacist/Suitably qualified person
    POM = Prescription only medicine
    V = Veterinarian

So a product labelled NFA-VPS can be prescribed by a vet, a pharmacist or a suitably qualified person.

Frontline can now be dispensed by bestpet as they are deemed a 'suitably qualified person' due to the fact that they hold the AMTRA certificate - see the legal blurb at the end of the produnct info about frontline below. Pet shops and supermarkets still won't be able to sell it unless they become a 'suitably qualified person'. Perhaps the other pet medications website don't have the AMTRA certification which is why they still require a prescription?

http://www.pjonline.com/pdf/society/pj_20051105_veterinary.pdf
    http://www.amtra.org.uk/apl/implications.htm

From the bestpet website about Frontline...

"Legal NFA-VPS - Non Food-producing Animals - veterinarian, pharmacist, suitably qualified persons
    This is for non food producing animals.

POM-VPS and NFA-VPS can actually be prescribed by vets or pharmacists or suitably qualified persons. (SQP is a holder of an AMTRA certificate. Animal Medicines Training Regulatory Authority)"

Hope this helps
  • tigs78tigs78 Forumite
    539 posts
    Someone posted a link to this thread so just thought I would update it....

Another excellent website is https://www.vetuk.co.uk I now use these instead of bestpet as they just beat bestpet on price for the tablets my cat needs. Both offer free delivery and were/are really quick to deliver though so check both for prices before ordering.
  • patentgirlpatentgirl Forumite
    974 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks tigs78 I was completely unaware you get frontline cheaper online than at your local vets unfortunately i have just brought a 3 month pack for my cat but know where i will be going next time I am sure I paid well over £16 I will save nearly £7 especially with free P&P
    Frugal challenge 2021
    Yearly food challenge 2021 £3200 spent £434.50
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we now have a Pets board I'll move this thread over there.

Pink
  • anniestaranniestar Forumite
    2.6K posts
    FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As someone with 7 cats (plus 2 others that I buy drontal and Frontline for) htis htread has made me SO happy. Thank you so much (although I doubt the cats would agree!)
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • katiekittykatkatiekittykat Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can buy it straight from the chemist without a prescription.
    Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support