Forget GREASE - SKINT IS THE WORD....90K of it

kiwikaz
kiwikaz Posts: 379 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 September 2010 at 10:52AM in Debt free diaries
Hi Everyone,

Well I've been a member for a few years now and, have found this site to be a wealth of information .

Having said that my OH and I have a shed full of debt :eek:. I'm gutted to have been so stupid in so many ways living life to the full on credit in every way imaginable. We've remortgaged, taken out loans to consolidate our debts but still continued to spend without thinking about the consequences. The s##t has now hit the fan. We can no longer meet our payments to our creditors.

The phone calls started coming which was to be expected. They were so bad that I changed our phone number.

I have at long last taken advice from this site which on hindsight I should've done ages ago.

I've contacted CCCS and given them as much information as they need for now and have an appointment in 2 weeks time. That date can't come soon enough.

I've even done their on-line debt remedy to give me an idea on what to expect. The realistic budget for a family of 4 looks tight and now I'm wondering how on earth we're going to cope. We've also 2 large dogs who are in fact still puppies 9 months down the line. We do feed them on raw food ( BARF diet ) which is far cheaper than buying tinned or dry complete which is a blessing .

I'm not computer literate by the way ( unless it's for on-line shopping ) so it'll take me a while I think to add my signature and, post the SOA via the website which is recommended. When I do any suggestions on how I can work towards clearing this debt will be gratefully received.

Thankfully my OH has a good job. We had a good household income when I was working too. I was made redundant in 2005 and, haven't worked since as I developed epilepsy which is still not under control. Until 2 weeks ago I was on incapacity benefit which has now stopped because the nurse who carried out my medical thinks my condition will " improve significantly " within 6 months. Maybe she knows something I don't ? Now I'm having to appeal which is something I really could've done without.

I think that's basically it in a nutshell.

I know from reading the DFW board that we're not alone in our quest to eliminate our debts. I've started my/our diary on here in the hope that it will give us the motivation to keep going and tackle this problem head on.

Karen.
July £10 a day challenge £ 20.05 / £ 155

Comments

• kiwikaz
    No idea where that smiley talk icon came from. I've not much to smile about at the moment re my debts.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You DO have something to smile about - you have taken some very big steps towards getting things sorted!

If "taking control" is not worth smiling about, then I don't know what is :D

Welcome aboard x
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • kiwikaz
    Thanks Hypno06,

You're right. I do . The task just seems impossible at the mo.
    I notice you're in a similar position too.

Thanks for your positive reply. It means such a lot.
    I feel like crying.

Karen. x
  • welcome it will get better facing it is the hard bit belive me i know.xx
  • As a dispassionate outsider, the immediate suggestion is to consider selling the puppies. It'll raise immediate funds, and reduce your ongoing commitments significantly.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • The task probably does seem impossible, but it's not! I have just short of £80k of debt :eek: but I WILL do it and have a better life. It's simply a fact of getting determined and buckling down. I have learnt a lot in just a few weeks and whilst I am having bad times adjusting to the new budget, I am doing my best to get my act together.

The only suggestions at the moment for getting rid of debt is ebay anything you don't use that is just sitting around the house. I have also invested in a spending diary which has been a real opener and made me think twice before spending any money.

You should be proud of yourself for posting on here and acknowledging that things need to be fixed. It can be so much easier to bury your head in the sands.

Good luck!
    1st debt - Next [STRIKE]£583.32[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£408.71 [/STRIKE] £0 :j
    2nd debt - MBNA - £6,618.52
    First in many many to go - baby steps and all that!
    First lump sum to go - fingers crossed!
    08/06/09 - [STRIKE]£11,497.68[/STRIKE] NOW - £9,757.75
  • kiwikaz
    You 're right Lee but I just couldn't do it. In hindsight after our dog died on Xmas Eve we shouldn't ve raced head on into getting another let alone 2.
    We're dog lovers thro n thro.
  • Hiya -

Just wanted to welcome to the site and wish you the best of luck! This site is brilliant and everyone is truly amazing. People really have no idea the difference they are making to my life right now :D

I know what you mean about pets being expensive, I have a dog and cat, and I feel like i'm ALWAYS purchasing pet food, then theres vet bills, and my dog's grooming sessions but despite the expense they are part of the family and I couldn't imagine being without them plus on the upside the dog provides plenty of free days out with walks in the parks and woods etc :D
    :j6 debts cleared since joining MSE:j
    :eek: Remaining debts... Very / Halifax Loan/ A&L / Virgin cc / Lloyds / Sister :eek:
    :smileyheaGetting Married 04.12.10 - The MSE way :smileyhea
    :dance: Making this house a home :dance:
  • Your money or your dogs.

I'm sure that wasn't quite the saying, but it seems to fit the position. You shouldn't rule anything out at this stage.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • kiwikaz
    The task probably does seem impossible, but it's not! I have just short of £80k of debt :eek: but I WILL do it and have a better life. It's simply a fact of getting determined and buckling down. I have learnt a lot in just a few weeks and whilst I am having bad times adjusting to the new budget, I am doing my best to get my act together.

The only suggestions at the moment for getting rid of debt is ebay anything you don't use that is just sitting around the house. I have also invested in a spending diary which has been a real opener and made me think twice before spending any money.

You should be proud of yourself for posting on here and acknowledging that things need to be fixed. It can be so much easier to bury your head in the sands.

Good luck!

In your dreams,

Thanks for your reply. I did notice your diary when having a quick scan thro this thread. Good luck to you too ! I think we'll be well n truely relieved when we eventually become debt free.

I've been quite busy the last few days so haven't had time to post but as you suggested I've taken some photos of stuff I no longer need and plan to list them on ebay over the next few days.:beer: I've also listed a book on amazon too. My friend's suggested a carboot so we've got that planned for a couple of weeks time so I really am hoping that the weather's still ok and, I'm sorting thro all my clutter and, stacking it near the front door so I'm ready despite this annoying my OH. ;)

Karen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family