We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Everything's gone big!

When I switched my computer on this morning every website I go on comes up really big. I've clicked the restore down button (next to the minimise and close buttons at top right) but it doesn't alter it to the normal size.

When I open Outlook Express everything there is the normal size, it's just websites that are affected. I use IE. Have I done something I shouldn't have without realising it (numpty here!) and how can I get it back to normal?
«1

Comments

  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks Antispam, I've tried that but it's not just the text, it's the whole page, everything is big. I can see about 3/4 of the page then I have to use the slide bar at the bottom to see the rest of it.

    I am using XP, don't know if that makes a difference as I see your screenshot is for Vista.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2009 at 11:53AM
    In IE ~ top left ~ view ~ Click ~ scroll down ~ text size ~ change to medium.

    edit: It changes the size of the whole page. I had this happen to me a while ago.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Antispam wrote: »
    Thats basically what I said or shown ;) Op says it doesn't work for some reason

    :o opps!

    It's not very often I know the answer to a technical question so I just jumped in. :rolleyes: :rotfl:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Antispam wrote: »
    Are the icons on your desktop large

    No, icons are normal size. Outlook express - box, writing, emails, all normal size. Just all website pages are very big, the little smiley emoticons are big and blurry on this site and all text looks like a child's first reader :rotfl: .
  • Try resetting your IE settings:

    Tools > Internet options > Advanced > Reset... (at the bottom where it says "Reset Internet Explorer Settings")
  • Try this in IE

    Tools, advanced tab and reset ie default settings

    Ha ha, beat me to it :)
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Try resetting your IE settings:

    Tools > Internet options > Advanced > Reset... (at the bottom where it says "Reset Internet Explorer Settings")

    What - the bit that says "You should only use this if your browser is in an unstable state" - jeez, I'm a [STRIKE]scaredy cat[/STRIKE] coward besides a numpty, I need convincing that I wont need to call in repair man that will cost me ££s.

    Sorry, I'm not helping myself here am I :o .
  • Instead of looking under Text Size, try Zoom instead. Alternatively, press B]Ctrl[/B+B]0[/B on your keyboard.
  • TomsMom wrote: »
    What - the bit that says "You should only use this if your browser is in an unstable state" - jeez, I'm a [STRIKE]scaredy cat[/STRIKE] coward besides a numpty, I need convincing that I wont need to call in repair man that will cost me ££s.

    Sorry, I'm not helping myself here am I :o .

    It'll just reset any settings that have changed back to the factory settings, don't worry!

    Just to be sure (although I don't think you'll need to), make a note of the settings you have at the moment from here:

    Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings

    Take a note of which boxes are ticked and any addresses that are filled in the boxes.

    If you are using a home connection it's very unlikely any of these will differ from the factory settings, but by all means put your mind at ease!
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Instead of looking under Text Size, try Zoom instead.

    :T Thank you so much Tanglefoot, that has worked. It was set at 125% so I set it to 100% and it has gone back to normal. I don't know how it happened and don't know anything about the view settings so I appreciate your help.
    It will just reset ie to the defaults settings thats all

    Its nice to see how help is appreciated

    I do appreciate the help and I think that comment was a bit uncalled for. If you're an expert with computers then you're comfortable with what will happen and can put it right if it's not what you expect. If you're like me and know nothing about computers other than to switch it on then messing about with any settings is scary in case things go wrong and everything is lost, as I said in my previous post.

    Take a look at Triggerhappy's reply, said the same as you but has understood how unsure I am and has explained what to do if things go wrong. Thank you very much Triggerhappy.

    I was going to leave it and put up with it until my OH comes out of hospital at the end of the week so he can decide what he wanted to do but Tanglefoot came up with the solution
    .
    It'll just reset any settings that have changed back to the factory settings, don't worry!

    Just to be sure (although I don't think you'll need to), make a note of the settings you have at the moment from here:

    Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings

    Take a note of which boxes are ticked and any addresses that are filled in the boxes.

    If you are using a home connection it's very unlikely any of these will differ from the factory settings, but by all means put your mind at ease!

    Thank you for your kind reply Triggerhappy, I appreciate that you understood how I feel.

    Thank you everyone else who tried to help me.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.