nhs redundancy

Options
I'd be grateful for any help your NHS payroll/pensions experts could give. I work for an NHS Trust that has just merged with another with the possibility of redundancies in the admin field, which could affect me. I'm 63 years old and have worked for this Trust for 12 years in admin. I am in the NHS Pension scheme. Basically I'm getting conflicting advice as to whether I'll only be entitled to my NHS Pension if I'm made redundant, due to my age, or whether I'd be entitled to redundancy pay for the years I've worked, and then be able to draw my pension. This makes a big difference to whether or not I'd lose my house as my mortgage is written til I'm 65.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2009 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Why do you think that you wouldn't receive redundancy pay if you are under retirement age.

Anyone being made redundant before 65 is entitled to redundancy payment - albeit on a sliding scale in the last year.

12 years redundancy equates to 18 weeks pay.
    ie 1.5 weeks for every year as you are over 41.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • davjan
    davjan Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply. I understand that NHS redundancy rules are different to statutory redundancy rules. I could be wrong, hence the request for any info from NHS payroll/pension experts.
  • Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NHS Terms & Conditions

You would be enitled to redundancy of 1 months pay for each year you have worked - so 12 months if you have 12 years full time.

You will be in the 1995 scheme and entitled to transitional protection and will have some options including one which will pay you your full NHS pension (as if you had worked to 65) but you have to offset some of your redundancy against this.

The NHSBA website has NHS pensions info on it including a factsheet on retirement & redundancy. Google NHS pensions.

If you are to be made redundant your HR dept should provide you with the quotes for the options for you.

Depending on how much mortgage you have outstanding, redundancy could be quite a good position for you.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If a redundancy situation is a possibility I'd suggest a word with the full time officer of your union as they will already be aware of this pending issue. They will be best placed to advise on local agreement as i can guarantee this will have been discussed at branch meetings.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport