We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Hunchback netbooks
prowla
Posts: 14,506 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I've been looking for a Netbook, and liked the look of the HP/Compaq 110c, but was put off by the short (2 hr?) battery life due to ts 3-cell battery.
I spotted the Lenovo (on Tesco Direct) with a newer processor and a 6-cell battery offering a much longer life, so I ordered one.
Well, when I collected it and took it out of the box, the battery was an extra cylinder running across its back at a 45 degree angle to the body of the machine, converting the "less than an inch thick" slim handy netbook into a hunch-backed monstrosity!
It's not what the pictures showed, and it's going back.
But now my issue is are all netbooks the same? Do you have a trade off between a slim convenient netbook and one with a usable battery life that entails having a tumerous growth attached to it's backside?
Not pleased at all...
I spotted the Lenovo (on Tesco Direct) with a newer processor and a 6-cell battery offering a much longer life, so I ordered one.
Well, when I collected it and took it out of the box, the battery was an extra cylinder running across its back at a 45 degree angle to the body of the machine, converting the "less than an inch thick" slim handy netbook into a hunch-backed monstrosity!
It's not what the pictures showed, and it's going back.
But now my issue is are all netbooks the same? Do you have a trade off between a slim convenient netbook and one with a usable battery life that entails having a tumerous growth attached to it's backside?
Not pleased at all...
0
Comments
-
I have a 6-cell battery on my Dell, it makes a nice stand.Squirrel!If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
Now 20% cooler0 -
If you want better battery life, you need a bigger battery, and that has to go somewhere!Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning: 'I can't configure Debian'.0
-
Yes. 6-cell batteries are just bigger. Have never seen a netbook with a 6-cell that doesn't stick out.
I have two batteries for my Acer Aspire One - the normal 3-cell which comes with it and I also bought a 6-cell which makes it a 'hunchback'. If I'm travelling I tend to sling the 6-cell in my bag too and switch over if/when necessary. 90% of the time I find that the 2hrs+ I get on the normal battery is enough. If it isn't the 6-cell gives me another 5-6 hrs.
So that's my answer to the trade-off between battery life and a slim notebook - get an extra battery, either an extra 3-cell if you're really bothered about it being slimline, or an extra 6-cell if you need that length of power. Depends on how you plan to use it.0 -
Very few netbooks include a high-capacity battery that sits flush with the chassis. The few that I know of are all made by ASUS and the only one that could possibly be described as 'slim' is the Eee PC 1008HA with its non-removable lithium-polymer unit.
If you want long life, you're going to have to compromise somewhere.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards