We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
I want to open a bar...
brains
Posts: 154 Forumite
I am a student at the minute, but I want to complete my degree. After my degree it will not be as usefull as I thought it would be when I first started (long story). But basically, I'll be stuck for a career path. The thing is my mam is thinking of remortgaging the house and giving me roughly £15,000 to try and start up a business.
I was thinking about a bar and whether this sum would be realistic. I thought it would never be enough. Anyone have any experience of opening a bar and what the costs are?
I would think the building would have to be a lease of some sort. Then the funds would be invested in re-decorating and stocking up the bar. I know that stock can be very expensive, and labour costs especially door staff can be even more.
I am even considering going into a partnership, which would mean £30,000-£40,000 available.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
I was thinking about a bar and whether this sum would be realistic. I thought it would never be enough. Anyone have any experience of opening a bar and what the costs are?
I would think the building would have to be a lease of some sort. Then the funds would be invested in re-decorating and stocking up the bar. I know that stock can be very expensive, and labour costs especially door staff can be even more.
I am even considering going into a partnership, which would mean £30,000-£40,000 available.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
0
Comments
-
I think you might get a better response posting on this board:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=27"There are no pockets in a shroud..."0 -
Sorry to be a bit of a gloom-monger, but start-up costs can be substantial.
You'd normally have to pay a 'premium' for a lease - can be anything from 20k to well over £200k, plus any re-furb you may like (not always necessary), plus stock, plus fixtures, plus a bond (in case you do a runner...), plus all the usual survey, finance and legal fees... phew!
You'll also need a personal license (training course + fees around another grand or so), then there's the ongoing cost of staff, accountancy, repairs etc.
Safest way may be to get a 'trainee manager' type of job - you should get the training (probably up to personal license if you're keen) and a chance to see if it really is for you.
A couple of links to Pub trade press for a bit more advice and property costs (mainly pubs, but should be a few bars).
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/
http://www.thepublican.com/0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards