TUPE and Redundancy

Options
If a service (i.e. the finances of an organisation) is being contracted to another organisation and the person currently doing this work is refused redundancy (22 years service) because they were offered a post with the new organisation but they refused because it involved travelling from London to Wiltshire, is this constructive dismissal? What should the person do, if they have a case?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    They need to look at the mobility clause in their contract of employment to see what it says about relocation.

If the person feels they have a case they would need to make an employment tribunal claim against the new employer (the firm to whom they TUPE transfer). They can find the form to make the claim online on the employment tribunal website, or they could go to Citizens Advice or call (or check the website of) ACAS - free employment advice service funded by government.

I suggest they get the relevant contact details from the ACAS website and discuss their situation with them.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jeanoj wrote: »
    If a service (i.e. the finances of an organisation) is being contracted to another organisation and the person currently doing this work is refused redundancy (22 years service) because they were offered a post with the new organisation but they refused because it involved travelling from London to Wiltshire, is this constructive dismissal? What should the person do, if they have a case?

They could try, but prolly would not win, otherwise you would see many many more get out of a TUPE transfer for one reason or another.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Jeanoj wrote: »

Can you give us the bare facts of the situation, please? Is it ....

Person works for a company, in finance
    Job is based in London
    Finance is outsourced to an external provider
    Person is TUPE transferred to the external provider
    Person refuses transfer as new job is based in Wiltshire

What discussions has the person had with their employer - new or current?
    Has the transfer taken place?

And, as already asked, what does the current contract state about place of work and relocation to another area?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure