We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

(On behalf of friend) Parents claiming JSA

Options
13»

Comments

• book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    As far as the Mum goes they should be able to arrange some form of training for her to help her get back into employment, some part time college course would be free if she was on JSA for example

But the training is only provided for people who are unemployed for 6 months or more though.

In terms of the 'training', can it be with an employer, where they teach her 'hands on' skills, instead of going to college? I think it's better for her to do 'hands on' things instead of reading books, doing exams, etc... Or would it depend on the job the mum wants?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    But the training is only provided for people who are unemployed for 6 months or more though.

In terms of the 'training', can it be with an employer, where they teach her 'hands on' skills, instead of going to college? I think it's better for her to do 'hands on' things instead of reading books, doing exams, etc... Or would it depend on the job the mum wants?
    I looked into college course and a lot have fee remission for those on benefits, i'm not on JSa and haven't been on ESA for even 3 months yet was elegible? So if she didn't get teh jobcenter to organise it but still informed them she might still get access to it?
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    If your friend's mum struggles with her literacy and numeracy and wants help, I know the JCP in my area will allow her to attend a course from day one of making a claim to JSA, but it is something she will need to ask about at her interview. It will be a course, though, not a work placement (although they may offer this as well)
    If she is going to be actively seeking and available for work and hence receive benefit, then she will indeed be given a signing date and time (JCP should try to make the times as close together as possible).
  • book12
    Options
    If your friend's mum struggles with her literacy and numeracy and wants help, I know the JCP in my area will allow her to attend a course from day one of making a claim to JSA, but it is something she will need to ask about at her interview. It will be a course, though, not a work placement (although they may offer this as well)
    If she is going to be actively seeking and available for work and hence receive benefit, then she will indeed be given a signing date and time (JCP should try to make the times as close together as possible).

She's not that bad at English and Maths. She has the old versions of GCSEs (think they are called CSEs back in the days). I don't think she can prove it to the JCP that she has achieved GCSEs in English and Maths, as she can't find the certified copies of the qualifications since it was a very long time ago. I think they will put her on a 'basic skills' course.

How long would the course and work placement (if offered) last for?
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    They won't put your friend's mum on a course unless she says that it is a problem for her, so she does not need to worry about that. They will also accept her word that she has the CSEs (it's alright, I'm of your friend's mum's generation so I know what you are talking about!), so she does not need to worry about certificates or anything.
    When are they going into the JCP? I hope they are not worrying themselves too much about it.
  • book12
    Options
    They won't put your friend's mum on a course unless she says that it is a problem for her, so she does not need to worry about that. They will also accept her word that she has the CSEs (it's alright, I'm of your friend's mum's generation so I know what you are talking about!), so she does not need to worry about certificates or anything.
    When are they going into the JCP? I hope they are not worrying themselves too much about it.

They are going into the JCP on Tuesday.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    she will either have GCE (O-levels they were) or CSE quals

then they combined them to do GCSEs

a GCE pass is a Grade A, B or C (a D or E might be recorded but were not accepted as a pass grade- U is ungraded) CSEs were graded from 1 with 1 being accepted as equivalent to a GCE pass at grade C. A Grade 1 CSE was the highest pass.

HTH
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • mberry77
    mberry77 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    Mum is nearly 50, dad is in mid-50's. Both born after 1957.

I think they will be claiming income based of £100 according to the direct.gov website, as a 'couple'.

So basically on the fortnightly sign-on, the mum doesn't need to go?

I hope the ID I specified in my first post is suitable for the mum. Dad has suitable ID already.

yes she does need to go if its a couples claim. and £100 will get sent to 1 account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport