(On behalf of friend) Parents claiming JSA

Options
One of my friend's parents wants to claim JSA. They have called the new claims telephone number, and their interview with the Job Centre is next week, so that the advisors could check ID, check the application done on the phone, and draw up a Job Seekers Agreement. His parents are claiming as a couple.

Herdad has been unemployed for a year now. Her mum is a housewife, and not in employment for over 20 years, and doesn't plan to work ever again.

Herparents want to know the following:

• how much is the couple rate per week?

• her mum has no valid UK ID, as they are all expired. Didn't bother renewing them, because she has no need to travel or drive ever again. She will bring the expired documents to prove her name, nationality, and other personal details. The expired ID are paper driving license and UK passport. When comparing the photo on expired photo ID to her face in real life, there is not much difference. As well as bring expired photo ID, she will bring NI number (not the plastic card version, as it's been issued on a paper long long time ago), marriage certificate, certificate of naturalisation/nationality, and birth certificate to prove her country of birth. His dad has only one photo ID which is UK driving license, which is ok. UK Passport expired and didn't renew, as there is no plans to travel. There's not enough time to renew UK documents for mum.

• would her mum be 'forced' to find a job? Obviously the dad will find a job.

• when signing on fortnightly, would she have to come with her dad?

Comments

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What have they been living on for the past year if Dad has been unemployed?
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did the callcentre talk about a "couple" claim or a "joint" claim as there is a distinction. On a couple claim one partner claims the benefit and gets an allowance to support the non jobseeking partner. On a joint claim they both are job seekers and have benefit claims running side by side.

Sounds like they will be on a couple claim which pays around £100 per week. However they will likely not qualify for the contribution based JSA as it is so long since he last worked and will have to claim income based only, this takes into account all their savings, bonds, investments and any other income.
    The first question they will be asked is what they lived on for the last 12 months and will need to provide bank statements if it was on savings.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    babyblooz wrote: »
    What have they been living on for the past year if Dad has been unemployed?

They borrowed money from family and friends. Also, they have been living off their savings too, which soon to be running dry.
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Did the callcentre talk about a "couple" claim or a "joint" claim as there is a distinction. On a couple claim one partner claims the benefit and gets an allowance to support the non jobseeking partner. On a joint claim they both are job seekers and have benefit claims running side by side.

Sounds like they will be on a couple claim which pays around £100 per week. However they will likely not qualify for the contribution based JSA as it is so long since he last worked and will have to claim income based only, this takes into account all their savings, bonds, investments and any other income.
    The first question they will be asked is what they lived on for the last 12 months and will need to provide bank statements if it was on savings.

ali x

I forgot what he said if it was 'joint' or 'couple' claim. I will go check with him.

After telling me about those types of claim, it should be 'couple' claim, as her mum doesn't want to work, it's just her dad wants to work.

The call centre advisor didn't tell her parents if it was contribution or income based JSA.
  • mberry77
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    One of my friend's parents wants to claim JSA. They have called the new claims telephone number, and their interview with the Job Centre is next week, so that the advisors could check ID, check the application done on the phone, and draw up a Job Seekers Agreement. His parents are claiming as a couple.

Herdad has been unemployed for a year now. Her mum is a housewife, and not in employment for over 20 years, and doesn't plan to work ever again.

Herparents want to know the following:

• how much is the couple rate per week?

• her mum has no valid UK ID, as they are all expired. Didn't bother renewing them, because she has no need to travel or drive ever again. She will bring the expired documents to prove her name, nationality, and other personal details. The expired ID are paper driving license and UK passport. When comparing the photo on expired photo ID to her face in real life, there is not much difference. As well as bring expired photo ID, she will bring NI number (not the plastic card version, as it's been issued on a paper long long time ago), marriage certificate, certificate of naturalisation/nationality, and birth certificate to prove her country of birth. His dad has only one photo ID which is UK driving license, which is ok. UK Passport expired and didn't renew, as there is no plans to travel. There's not enough time to renew UK documents for mum.

• would her mum be 'forced' to find a job? Obviously the dad will find a job.

• when signing on fortnightly, would she have to come with her dad?

I worked at JCP until recently, if she isnt job seeking then it should be a single claim anyway. if she goes into the job centre to sign on and says she isnt looking for work she is just going to get the joint payment suspended. And yes they will try their best to make her look for work as its job seekers allowance ie a benefit for job seekers.

By the way JCP will accept birth certificate as ID, an expired passport is invalid and so worthless it might as well be binned. They will both need to sign on if its a joint claim.
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    If your friend's mum has children under the age of 18 then she is not required to be looking for work; if she does not, then in order to claim she will have to be looking for a full time job.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they have been living on savings and borrowing from friends I would have thought either of them would have been looking for work. Can mum not work, or does she just not want to work?
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • book12
    Options
    mberry77 wrote: »
    I worked at JCP until recently, if she isnt job seeking then it should be a single claim anyway. if she goes into the job centre to sign on and says she isnt looking for work she is just going to get the joint payment suspended. And yes they will try their best to make her look for work as its job seekers allowance ie a benefit for job seekers.

By the way JCP will accept birth certificate as ID, an expired passport is invalid and so worthless it might as well be binned. They will both need to sign on if its a joint claim.

Ok. The birth certificate is issued overseas, as the mum isn't born in the UK. Does it matter? Her marriage certificate which she will bring in to prove as a 'couple' and ID. Got married in the UK.

I think the friend's mum & dad said it was a 'couple' claim.
    If your friend's mum has children under the age of 18 then she is not required to be looking for work; if she does not, then in order to claim she will have to be looking for a full time job.

The friend's mum doesn't have children under the age of 18, they are in their 20's.
    babyblooz wrote: »
    If they have been living on savings and borrowing from friends I would have thought either of them would have been looking for work. Can mum not work, or does she just not want to work?

Mum can't work due to no qualifications, that's why she can't and don't want to work. If the advisor said the mum needs to work, I guess she has to.
  • Tigerlilley1980
    Options
    If the Mum is fit for work I would have thought they would try and get her into some work or even a course to get her some qualifications. I have joint claimed before and that was payed to my ex while I was unable to work as I was at home with a newborn baby. I'm also guessing that unless there is a disability or they have a child the jobcentre will want her to work.

Tiger xx
    Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
    :j
    Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
    Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
    Pinecone Research - £9
    Mystery Shopping - £15
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Being a housewife is not a job or a right, it's a luxury for those who have enough money coming into the household.

With no money coming in she's an unemployed person.

She should be making as much effort as he is to find a job - and see who gets one first.
  • book12
    Options
    Being a housewife is not a job or a right, it's a luxury for those who have enough money coming into the household.

With no money coming in she's an unemployed person.

She should be making as much effort as he is to find a job - and see who gets one first.

If you read post #3 in this thread, the person said there is either a 'joint' claim or 'couple' claim. I assume it will be the 'couple' claim where the mum doesn't seek work, but the dad does.

So that means no matter if it's a 'joint' or 'couple' claim, my friend's mum needs to be seeking a job then... :o:confused: I'm confused...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure