We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Please help me load my Tom Tom maps!!

TraceyB_2
TraceyB_2 Posts: 678 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 19 September 2009 at 7:58AM in Techie Stuff
The idea of getting new Tom Tom maps seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm beginning to wish I hadnt bothered!

I have bought a new UK map and a map of Florida from Tom Tom for our trip away in three weeks time - the way things are going, I'll never have it loaded in time:mad:

I have also bought 2 x 2GB cards from Tesco so thought I was ready to roll - first mistake!

I have found 2 USB leads that fit Tom Tom (I am a bit unorganised in the leads department - they all go in a drawer together so cant say for sure which lead came with the Tom in the first place:rolleyes:) - having tried both leads, when I plug Tom into my laptop, the Tom Tom logo on my screen says 'device connected' but on TOm Tom Home, it says 'no device connected'?

The picture on the Tom Tom shows a lead coming out of the back of the Tom Tom with a red cross over the hand?

If I put one of the blank cards into the Tom Tom a red cross appears on the screen over a sd card?

Also, is there any need for me to 'back up' if I am loading a new UK map (eventually!) and have never bought any voices, maps etc. I think to back up is yet another techie thing that I am likely to fail at.

I should also say that I have a SD slot in my laptop so thought I could chuck the card in and download on to that but cant seem to do that either!

I honestly didnt think it would be this difficult to do - although it could be a problem with the USB leads I guess - but my screen seems to recognise it?

Reply to this at your peril - I am likely to need LOADS of help:rotfl::rotfl:!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Anyone? :(
  • try asking in the tom tom support forum, click here
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 5,034 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I did similar with a Garmin by putting SD card in computer, then in "my computer" drag and drop the files to SD card. Then put SD card in Garmin which asked if I wanted to load new files. I clicked yes

    Simples
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Have you tried drop down tab in Tom Tom home - sub tab connect. Not in front of home computer so can't check but I had a similar problem. Once told to connect everything ok
  • I could have written this post! Am having a nightmare with TomTom support not being supportive. Bought refurb TomTom with code for new maps which I haven't been able to download as not enough space. Your maps are likely to be bigger than the device memory and even the 2Gb card. I asked TomTom if it would take a 4Gb card and they don't bother replying. I know this does not answer your question but you are not alone. I will watch this post with interest. If not answered I would suggest ringing their 'support' direct' Mon-Fri as that is my intention. At least I can then give them a piece of my mind.
    Middlers
  • anyone tried here?

    www.pocketgpsworld.com
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Ring TomTom direct!

    UK 0845 1610009
    Mon - Fri: 9am - 6.30pm
  • Ended up having to ring TomTom - spoke to a lovely man that spent 45 minutes on the phone to me until we got the maps loaded.

    I think half of the problem was the fact that my TomTom is so old and has never been updated and the card I was using had not been formatted - the sheer joy when my TT finally asked me if I wanted to connect to the computer was amazing - how sad!!

    Now have two maps loaded and now off in search of some POIs for my holiday!!

    Thanks for your help everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.