We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help Needed With Ubuntu + Vodafone

Please can someone help me, I have dell mini 10 webbook which came loaded with Ubuntu 8.04, and i have a brand new Vodafone PAYG mobile broadband dongle, but the trouble is it the computer does nor recognise it, or even work.
Can anyone help me please, or have i wasted my money.
At the moment i am pulling my hair i would appreciate any help or advice.
Both the items are new.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Assuming it's a Huawei K3565 dongle, the following link suggests that you need to upgrade to 9.04 in order for auto-detection to work:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7159131

    Hopefully you can do a dist-upgrade, which should be fairly painless.
  • I had great fun getting Ubuntu (7.04 at the time) to work with my 3 dongle. Got there in the end though. The latest version "just works"!
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • The two should work together - do a search on the Ubuntu forums for wvdial settings, I have had it working with O2 and 3. You just need the information for Vodafone.

    HTH
  • I'm still pulling my hair out, its still not working, I have tried what the person said in fwor's link but with no luck.
    Can anyone else help me to get this working.
    Thanks
  • Now I have decided to return my unit as unfit for purpose, can anyone advise ?
  • davesdeals wrote: »
    Now I have decided to return my unit as unfit for purpose, can anyone advise ?

    well for starters its not unfit for purpose at all, you just have not sorted out or checked compatibility.......
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    First off, I'd recommend swapping the Dell preinstalled Ubuntu for the proper Netbook remix (latest version): http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook (it won't auto upgrade between the two)

    May have been me, but I had nothing but trouble with "Dellbuntu".
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • Step 1 - Glue hair back on, man you are ugly without it.

    Step 2 - Have you found the information you need to connect to Vodafone

    only then .........

    Step 3 Open a linux terminal and type in lsusb ( means list usb devices )
    Can you see the modem in the list. If you can at least you know your machine can see it.
  • No luck still, the trouble is i really do not know what i am doing with this ubuntu, it is all new to me, my machine can see the modem but it just does not work.
    Esqui, i would love to install that latest remix version but i really would not have a clue i have downloaded the image file but this is as far as i have got, from there on it looks too complicated.
    Any other ideas?
  • fjeer
    fjeer Posts: 36 Forumite
    The image you downloaded has instructions on installing and using it. I recommend reading them!

    It's probably an ISO. Write it to a cd as a disk image, or if it's a usb stick image write it to a usb stick
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.