Sub-contractor being laid off!!

Options
My partner is a sub-contractor, he has been told that as of next month he is being laid off by the people who sub-contract him. I work part-time on minimum wage is there any help for us??? He was made bankrupt last year and the year was up in april this year, we are really struggling at the moment so don't know how we will cope when his job finishes. HELP

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this, but it would appear he is self-employed and has effectively lost his customer. If this is the case, his only option is to get himself out on the job hunt and find new customers or an employed position. Sorry.

In the meantime, you may want to check that you're receiving all the benefits/tax credits you're entitled to.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Get to him to ask anyone and everyone he knows in the business if anyone needs him for anything, even if it's only a day or two's work or holiday cover. If he can get ANYTHING, it's better than nothing. Also, what sort of sub-contractor is he? Sparky, plumber, plasterer, decorator? If he's got a domestic CORGI card that's valid he might be able to ask local letting agencies who they use and undercut and try and get in there if he has Check the WTC people and see if you can get anything due to you working.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    elfen wrote: »
    .......If he's got a domestic CORGI card......

You mean Gas Safe card.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure