cistern noise !!

Options
When I flush the toilet, as the cistern is draining there is a "horn" kind of noise the comes from the boxed in pipes that are I guess feeding the cistern. It just last a second or two, then once the cistern is filled and the inlet water has stopped, it does it again. Any ideas what this could be?? It hasn't always done it. It started about 2 months ago ??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• adouglasmhor
    Options
    Your cistern has been infested by the Clangers. Lure them out with some soup and you wil be fine
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • lfc321
    lfc321 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We recently had exactly the same thing. We thought at first that it was air in the pipes (that's what it sounded like) but it wasn't. It was actually caused by the valve in the internal gubbins of the cistern making the pipes vibrate. Once the cistern had stopped filling the noise stopped.

We got a plumber mate to replace the workings inside the cistern with some new ones and the noise was cured. Didn't cost too much for the parts.
  • ahchoo
    Options
    i had the same problem few days ago now its fixed.
    actually its very easy to fix, Look for a Ballvalve Diaphragm washer at your local B&Q store its sells for £1.08p it comes in a pack of 2 and its Black and size of a 2pence piece.
    dont forget to shut the water before taking it apart.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    someitmes the cure is dead simple.
    just adjust the rising main stopcock, either way.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport