Barclays Bank - Breech of Confidentiality

Options
I have an outstanding complaint with Barclays Bank, who basically sent my personal bank statements to my ex husbands mother’s address (somewhere where I have barely been let alone lived). Also they allowed a direct debit to be set up using my personal bank account details by him. Financially this has put me into a terrible state, as now my ex husband knows not only all my personal details, but where I work, what I spend on and therefore has cut off all monies. As I was not getting any statements, I was accumulating more and more bank charges, without realising, one added up to over £200 in one month. Barclays offered me £150 to basically get rid of what is basically gross breech of confidentiality. I wrote back and said did they really think this would compensate such a serious breech. They looked into the matter and whilst they hold themselves responsible, they cannot make anybody there accountable. They have since written back and asked how much I want., I need some help into how much I should ask for?. I have requested that they calculate how much they have charged me since the statements were sent to this other address to present. Also the great amount of stress this has caused is unbelievable.

Many thanks
Sharon Louise

Comments

• maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there. What a waste of space barclays are. You must be seething. Have you tried to ring the Financial Ombudsman Service to see if they can help you with this? Also the Citizens Advice Bureau may be of help to you. I suppose what they would say to you is that it is up to you to make sure that you are receiving statements or making sure you know how much you have in your account.

Anyway I really hope you get this sorted and perhaps somebody else on here may be able to help more.
    :mad:
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    I have an outstanding complaint with Barclays Bank, who basically sent my personal bank statements to my ex husbands mother’s address (somewhere where I have barely been let alone lived). Also they allowed a direct debit to be set up using my personal bank account details by him. Financially this has put me into a terrible state, as now my ex husband knows not only all my personal details, but where I work, what I spend on and therefore has cut off all monies. As I was not getting any statements, I was accumulating more and more bank charges, without realising, one added up to over £200 in one month. Barclays offered me £150 to basically get rid of what is basically gross breech of confidentiality. I wrote back and said did they really think this would compensate such a serious breech. They looked into the matter and whilst they hold themselves responsible, they cannot make anybody there accountable. They have since written back and asked how much I want., I need some help into how much I should ask for?. I have requested that they calculate how much they have charged me since the statements were sent to this other address to present. Also the great amount of stress this has caused is unbelievable.

Many thanks
    Sharon Louise

Hi Sharon Louise

Sorry to hear this.
    It may be a good idea to contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) on this matter, explain to them your issues here and hopefully they will be able to help and advise what your best action will be.
    https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

Hope this helps, please keep us posted, good luck.;)

Di
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • sharonlouise
    Options
    Thank you, I am trying to get an appointment with the CAB and will definitely be contacting the ICO also.

Will definitely keep you posted.

Sharon Louise
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, I am trying to get an appointment with the CAB and will definitely be contacting the ICO also.

Will definitely keep you posted.

Sharon Louise

Your welcome Sharon, hope the CAB will help you through this, fingers crossed.;)
    We look forward to hearing the outcome of this matter.

Di
    X
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills